Well it's rusty, it's old, it smelled, but it was free and it's all mine!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
I finally got a brew fridge! and for free!! freecycle rocks...I'd been checking for about a month and i'd never found a fridge. But today I checked and there she is...

I'll post pics later....i'm tired after moving it all around and getting it in the garage.

It's pretty rusty on the outside but it's mostly suface rust, does anyone see a problem with just spraypainting over it? Keeping in mind that it was free...

Right now I'm just going to keep beer and water in there until I can get a jonson controller or a ranco....anyone know a cheap place to get one? any ebay sellers?

anyway I'm happy...

I bet you could take the surface rust off with some sandpaper, then give it a shot of rustoleum primer, then some rustoleum paint.

You should make it black with flames :)

Good luck with the dedicated refrigerator. I got a "free" one once and had to put it in my truck laying down. I put it in the garage upright for a couple days before plugging it in, and when I went to slide it in place I saw a puddle of coolant. Had to take it to the scrap yard and pay the disposal fee. Went then to the appliance store to buy a new one, and made the mistake of letting my wife come along. She convinced me to take the then current kitchen refrigerator downstairs, and let her get a new stainless one for herself. My "free" cooler score ended up costing me $1,200.:D

Yeah, be careful of the coolant. As for the rust, I'll second the sandpaper and rustoleum pirmer. Free is always a great price. :mug:

A wire wheel will be more efficient in getting the rust off, then use some red primer.

Always be careful of the ref. lines when moving it around, and like he said, if you had to lay it on its side, you want to stand it up for a day before turning it on, this lets the oil drain back to the compressor.

FYI steven.....It sounds like you probably broke a line somewhere and had a puddle of oil, not refrigerant. Refrigerant evaporates pretty quickly at atmospheric pressure.

yeah we did have to lay it down....but only for maybe .5 an hr or so. and it sat up for probubly an hr before we plugged it in.

the inside cleaned up quite well and it's a really cool retro green color...

the freezer has gotten quite cold but the fridge itself isn't as cold as it should be...yet. it's full of beer and water so lets see, it's running and it is cool inside..

i'll try and sand it and paint it this week, i want to paint it some crazy bright color

btw...still building my lagerator...my fiance asked why i was still building it...pshh what's better than a beer lagering away? 2 beers lagering...

Latest posts

Back