WLP 029 making starter golden brown?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
I made two starters with the same dme and the same bottled water. One is using Wyeast 1450 and the other WLP029. The 1450 looks like every other starter I've made with light extract, the 029 on the other hand is twice as dark, almost a light brown in color. Just wondering if this is normal for 029 to make it look darker.

Ok follow up.

Wyeast 1450 (Denny's Fav) left me a good amount of yeast, WLP 029 (Germal Ale/Kolsch) left me about 1/3 of what I normally get from a half gallon starter.

The WL yeast is definately golden brown vs the Wyeast being gold. Both made on the same day, same amount of water and same amount of DME.

Son of a *****, the starter is bad. Very tart and sour. Dry yeast back up plan I guess. I was really looking forward to doing a kolsch, more than any beer yet after trying the reisdorf beer.

My kolsch can be a bit darker than others, it also flocs a bit more and is a pretty lazy yeast overall. I typically let my Kolsch starters go almost 48 hours before pitching. I would describe the character of my 029 starters as 'bready, with some fruitiness'

While I don't know enough about your particular starter, I can just say that this yeast really does not behave at all like most of the others. No experience here with 1450, though. IMO, if you're sure it's bad--don't risk a batch.

Back