My brew day and night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDChef

Reaction score
Last Monday I planned on brewing an all grain Classic American Pilsner. My starter was ready, my HLT was full of preboiled water, my grains ready to be milled, everything I needed clean and ready to use. This was in the morning. then Life happened. One thing lead to another and by the time dinner was cleared and the boys in bed, it was 9 pm. I had to work Tuesday, so postponing was out of the question. I finished about 12:30, including cleanup. This is where RDWHAHB comes in handy. Due to the late hour and long day, I made a few mistakes I should have caught :mad: and tried a new( to me) technique. I forgot to add ph Stabilizer to my mash, I forgot to add Irish Moss, and I forgot to install my Bazooka Screen to help filter out the pellet hops.

The ph Stabilizer wasn't a big deal, I used a step infusion with an acid rest.
I'm going to lager for a good 4-6 weeks, so I'm not going to worry about clarity, especially when I'm the only one who will know.

Forgeting the screen was more annoying than worrying, especially with pellet hops. So rather than let my cfc fill with spent hop crud, I decided to try "No Chill". Right from Boil Kettle to clean, sanitized bucket with a tight lid, no worries at all. Cleaned up and went to bed.

Next morning I racked into primary leaving alot of trub behind and pitched.
When I got home, I had a nice krausen and great beer scent throughout the kitchen. Success!! :ban: It's now 1 week in the cooler doing very well.

Will I try NO Chill again? Yes, but not every time. Will I forget to add Stabilizer, Irish Moss and the screen? Probably, but hopefully not all at the same time.

Fred

Glad to hear it turned out well. I used to use Irish moss but for my last dozen or so batches haven't used it. I haven't noticed any ill-effects.

Maybe for the ales that are going to be bottled in 2 weeks, I could see using Irish Moss to help clarify, but if the lager is done right, it should almost take care of itself

Fred

Back