What should be finishing gravity be before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retroindigo

Reaction score
Hi - just brewing my first batch with a kit of Brewers Best, American Amber ale.

We brewed Sunday Jan. 3 and today is Monday Jan. 11 so it's been 8 days. Airlock stopped bubbling either last night or early this morning. I know we need to take the gravity reading to tell if it's ready to bottle-condition (not doing secondary fermentation). Kit suggested 4-6 days to ferment, then wait 48 hrs after bubbling stopped.

The OG was 1.054. We want to take the gravity reading tonight to check, so what should the hydrometer read when we're ready to bottle? I don't want the bottles to explode.

Instructions said ABV could be between 4.75 and 5.25 percent, so I did a reverse calculation using the formula they gave us -- (OG minus FG) X 131.25 = ABV. To get to the ABV they said would happen, the FG needs to be 1.017. But I wasn't sure if that's what we'd get once it's done bottle fermenting. (I havent done this much math in awhile). What should it be at?

After reading the forum, there seems to be many suggestions that we ignore the kit's instructions to only ferment for a week or so, and leave it in the primary fermenter for up to 3 weeks to let the yeast clean the beer which makes it tastier and clearer.

Suggestions?

Let it sit 2weeks and 4days , then check the gravity over the next 3 days. If it remains the same--then bottle it. FG's are very hard to predict exactly, when it decides it's done--it's done.

Latest posts

Back