Carbonating question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewatDrews

Reaction score
We added 3/4 cup to 5 gallons of beer before bottling. We have had 2 batches that came out with only slight carbonation. Can anyone give me an answer on why?

How did you add the 3/4 cup of dextrose and how long did it sit in the bottle before opening?

3/4 cup can be pretty variable...it's much more consistent to weigh out the priming sugar (1 oz per gallon is a good starting point). I had a similar problem with my first couple of batches and found that I was only using about 4 oz instead of 5.

Some batches also take 4-5 weeks to attain proper carbonation as well.

You don't HAVE to, but it's a good idea to sanitize it. You don't have to boil it long. Lots of folks just get their water boiling, dissolve the sugar in it and start it cooling. Makes sure it completely dissolves as well.

How long have the beers been sitting at 70 degrees?

Generally speaking the 3 weeks at 70 degrees that we recommend is only a guideline, a minimum, for beers below a starting gravity around 1.060...the higher the grav, the longer it takes to carb and condition. Don't forget, just because a beer is fizzy doesn't mean it is still not green, and tastes like a$$...

I've had stouts and porters take 4-8 weeks to carb...I have a 1.090 Belgian Strong Dark Ale that is 2.5 months in the bottle and it is barely beginning to carb up, I don't think it will even begin to stop tasting green and like rocket fuel for about another 2-3 months....

Read this,

Revvy's Blog; Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

And if it's been under 3 weeks, then let them alone for some more time, and make sure they are being stored at 70 degrees or higher. Any less and it will take forever to carb.

Also there's a lot of other bottling tips in the st of the thread where my blog is. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

Latest posts

Back