Brewed my first all grain batch today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnoob6120

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks to all those that were patient with me asking stupid questions about AG brewing, the batch I made was a brown ale that I added some honey to at the end of the boil, my homemade mashtun worked like a charm, I mashed at 152 deg for an hour and it drained the mashtun in about 15 minutes, I sparged at 168 deg and ended up with a pre boil volume of a little more than 6 gallons, boiled the wort for an hour and ended up with 5 gallons on the nose. my target og was 1.070 and i ended up with an og of 1.065. so i'm very happy with the results so far :rockin: and thank you all again!

Nice! I had a similar experience last weekend on my first...fermentation finally slowed after 3 days of some serious bubbling. Somehow we overshot our target gravity (1.052) and ended up at 1.059. Cheers! Glad to see some other transition success stories!

Congratulations and welcome to the AG club! One of the items you might try if you want to get your gravties spot on, is a buffer. I use a 5.2ph buffer that primarily helps with ph but is proven to help due to its affects on minerals and whatnot in your water that will affect the mashing process. This will help reach a high efficiency and keeping those gravities up and stable. Good luck and have fun!

Just wanted to say thanks to all those that were patient with me asking stupid questions about AG brewing, the batch I made was a brown ale that I added some honey to at the end of the boil, my homemade mashtun worked like a charm, I mashed at 152 deg for an hour and it drained the mashtun in about 15 minutes, I sparged at 168 deg and ended up with a pre boil volume of a little more than 6 gallons, boiled the wort for an hour and ended up with 5 gallons on the nose. my target og was 1.070 and i ended up with an og of 1.065. so i'm very happy with the results so far :rockin: and thank you all again!

Congrats man! I plan on making the jump to all-grain soon (I have ingredients for 2 more extract batches). What kind of mashtun did you make?

I am picking up a chest cooler from my SWMBO's dad this weekend and just bought all the parts to convert it (except tha damned 5/8 SS fender washer) based on flyguy's thread here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008.

I'm a little nervous but it sounds like everything worked out for you!

Now that I have dove head first into the mash so to speak, I need to start working on the effinciency, I will give the buffer a try, maybe I should hve moved to partial mash first but no guts no glory!

I picked up a 48 qt Coleman cooler from Dick's sporting goods and built a CPVC manifold, it was very inexpensive, cooler was on sale for 10 bucks and the CPVC and ball valve was about $18, the 1/2" clear tube I picked up fit nice and tight through te drain in the cooler so there was no needto use washers or sealant, and it didn't leak a drop!

Latest posts

Back