Priming With Home Made Candi Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfi309

Reaction score
I have a Old Ale fermenting that I would like to prime with home made candi syrup. Question is, if beer smith says it takes say 4 oz of cane sugar to properly prime this beer can I just take the 4 oz of sugar and convert it into candi syrup and usage it to prime the bottles or will the rate of usage be different for the candi sugar(two mono saccharides) versus sugar(disaccharide).

I have a Old Ale fermenting that I would like to prime with home made candi syrup. Question is, if beer smith says it takes say 4 oz of cane sugar to properly prime this beer can I just take the 4 oz of sugar and convert it into candi syrup and usage it to prime the bottles or will the rate of usage be different for the candi sugar(two mono saccharides) versus sugar(disaccharide).

It should be the same, since the yeast has to first break down sucrose into glucose and fructose before it can eat it anyway. The only issue I can see is if you cook the candi syrup long enough or dark enough that you've developed some unfermentables that won't contribute carbonation.

Back