mashing on an electric stove

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcam91

Reaction score
So I have been doing all grain 3 gallon batches in my 5 gallon kettle recently. So my major problem I've been having is mash effeciency. I tthink my problem is that the bottom of my kettle, on my electric burner on the stove, runs about 7 to 10 degrees hotter than my top half of my water. So do I take the kettle off during my mash? And just set it back on the burner if I get below 150? I think I screwed up my saison I brewed last night. I found the water at the bottom was around 160, whIle my top water, which I was temping, was 152ish. So I just want an idea how to fix this before I brew again. Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks
Joel

Can you fit the kettle inside your oven? If so, I'd use a seperate oven thermometer to get the actual temp in there and not just trust the ovens read out. Another option is to stick the kettle inside if a blanket at about 3 degrees higher than you want and just roll with it until the 60 minutes is up.

One idea is if you can fit your kettle in the oven put it on as low as it will go ( usually somewhere around 170ish) or you could get everything to temp then wrap the kettle in 4 blankets to keep the heat in which is what I do outside.

Edit: LaBrewer beat me to it.

if your pot fits inside the oven simply preheat the oven on the lowest heat setting while you heat your water....it doesn't really matter what the oven temp is...the lowest temp will be somewhere between 145 and 170..... once you mash in..place the whole pot in the oven..and turn the oven off. the residual heat of the oven will reduce the heat loss from the pot...to almost zero.
I always mash in my oven....up to 15lbs in my 5 gallon pot.....and I only lose 1 degree over a 60 to 70 minute mash.

For more information do a search of the forum for the "Deathbrewer Method"

Okay so my big problem is leaving it on the burner? It needs to be off of it and insulated pretty much

Back