Dead Ringer - Two Hearted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msmith92

Reaction score
Will carbonation decrease or change sweetness?

My beer finished fermenting yet does taste a bit sweet after 3 days in keg.

It is not yet carbed but i wonder if it will change once it is fully carbed? Will sweetness even out?

I don't keg but have done that beer several times & once fully carbed it is absolutely perfect....I might have to go crack one open now.

Beer will change flavor due to carbing because dissolved CO2 turned into Carbonic Acid, which adds a slightly bitter bite. That will offset the sweetness a little. When you say finished, what are your details? What is the FG and how long did it stay in primary?

Hex23 said:
Beer will change flavor due to carbing because dissolved CO2 turned into Carbonic Acid, which adds a slightly bitter bite. That will offset the sweetness a little. When you say finished, what are your details? What is the FG and how long did it stay in primary?

Og: 1.066

Fg: 1.012

Primary 2 weeks. Second 3 weeks.

2H has a touch of sweetness, and I can't see how a 1.012 gravity would give you a whole lot either. Maybe the carb will help it. Is this an extract batch, or AG?

It's a little odd that a beer that finished at 1.012 would taste sweet, especially one with so much hops. Coincidentally, I saw this thread on what I think is the same beer you brewed: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/nb-three-hearted-ale-too-sweet-217078/

yeah, i'm thinking so too. especially since i used a 2L yeast starter. Had a great fermentation (needed to use blow off tube on it).

I seem to remember that when I buy 2 hearted it has a sweetness to it but i think once this one is carbonated I'll do a side by side and see where the difference is. Hoping the carbonation helps.

It's a little odd that a beer that finished at 1.012 would taste sweet, especially one with so much hops. Coincidentally, I saw this thread on what I think is the same beer you brewed: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/nb-three-hearted-ale-too-sweet-217078/

Many of the unfermentable dextrins that contritube to a higher FG have no taste at all. Most things that have any appreciable sweetness to us, while be consumed by the yeast, with the exception of the a bunch of the things in specialty malts that are produced by maillard reaction when the malt is made (or during a decoction). A higher FG will always have a fuller body, but will not necessarily be sweet, and conversely, a low FG is not always dry.

Yeast makes a big difference here.
I made a saison that finished up at 1.007 and had a definite sweetness to it. I eventually tracked it down to the actual yeast themselves. After being on tap for a while, the saison eventually cleared. Once day I was keg shuffling and disturbed the saison keg. Then next pint of saison was back to being a bit cloudy and was quite sweet. The yeast settled again and a lot (but not all) of the sweetness went away. I have found this to be a bit yeast strain specific. I find the PU lager strain quite fruity.

If the beer is still young, once it clears some of the sweetness may fade. If not, then re-evaluate your specialty malt additions and/or yeast strain

If the beer is still young, once it clears some of the sweetness may fade. If not, then re-evaluate your specialty malt additions and/or yeast strain

Yes, this seems like the best guess at this early stage. I had a similar issue with a British Bitter where I thought the esthers from the yeast were too strong and caused an overly fruity banana flavor but after settling for a week the whole thing balanced out and was great.

Friday the keg will be carbonated for 7 days (set it - forget it at 12 psi). I'll be lucky if it's better by then but fingers crossed. Next week should be the real answer I suspect.

Back