Oktoberfest Time!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3Card

Reaction score
Just wanted to get some input on my first attempt at an All Grain batch of my favorite seasonal beer, since it is the end of march and time to start thinking about Oktoberfest brews....

5.00 lbs German Pilsner Malt
2.50 lbs Munich 10L
2.50 lbs Vienna
0.5 lbs crystal 80L
0.5 lbs Caramunich

0.7 oz Tettnanger at 60 min
1 oz Hallertauer mittelfruh at 60 min

Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager

20 min mash in at 145
45 min infusion to 158
mashout 10 min at 168

If my calculations are correct, should be an OG of 1.055, IBU of 27, SRM 12.6 for 5g batch

As always, open for suggestions, and thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice
Also, any thoughts on best fermentation schedule for such a brew????

Looks good, and I like the temp / step mash. I'm not a big fan of crystal in my Oktoberfest, but a lot of US breweries do it.

Put the Hallertauer in as FWH and the Tettnanger in the boil? And without the Crystal, how do I get the SRM up? Would like it around 12-13....

Put the Hallertauer in as FWH and the Tettnanger in the boil? And without the Crystal, how do I get the SRM up? Would like it around 12-13....

I'd use the tettnanger as FWH and keep the hallertauer the same. It's a "smoother" bitterness, but you'll get plenty of bitterness with FWH.

Well, you could do a decoction and ditch the crystal! Whatdya think?

I didn't do a decoction on mine- I used crystal malt, too. Here's the recipe:

8 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 80.00 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
8.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
1.00 oz Tettnang [5.00 %] (40 min) Hops 15.3 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3.60 %] (30 min) Hops 9.7 IBU
1 Pkgs Octoberfest/Marzen Lager (White Labs #WLP820) Yeast-Lager

It turned out to be a wonderful Oktoberfest! I didn't make it again this year, but everybody last year loved it.

Wow! That's pretty close! How does going without the Pilsner malt affect the mash and final flavor? I love the flavor of the Munich and Vienna, but have not seen a recipe that foregoes the 2 row Pils completely. Also, have not yet braved the decoction step, and wasn't aware that decoction would change the final color. Interesting thought. Does it also change the flavor?? Maybe too many questions, but when doing a decoction, would I also need to do a 158F rest on the portion of the mash that is being boiled? And how long would that add to the mash? I guess I've just not had any issues with infusions, since I have mashed a little thicker and have a 10 gallon cooler tun. But willing to try anything for a great octoberfest brew, especially since it's going to lager all summer....

Wow! That's pretty close! How does going without the Pilsner malt affect the mash and final flavor? I love the flavor of the Munich and Vienna, but have not seen a recipe that foregoes the 2 row Pils completely. Also, have not yet braved the decoction step, and wasn't aware that decoction would change the final color. Interesting thought. Does it also change the flavor?? Maybe too many questions, but when doing a decoction, would I also need to do a 158F rest on the portion of the mash that is being boiled? And how long would that add to the mash? I guess I've just not had any issues with infusions, since I have mashed a little thicker and have a 10 gallon cooler tun. But willing to try anything for a great octoberfest brew, especially since it's going to lager all summer....

I'm NO German lager expert, and I'd bet that my version is not authentic, although I did ask Kaiser (Kai Troester) for his input years ago when I made this recipe. Malticulous probably has far more experience/input in an authentic Marzen that me, so I'd listen to him!

A decoction does make a difference if you ask me. Many experts, including the venerable Denny Conn who I respect greatly, will tell you it doesn't. In my opinion, you get a crystally/sweet/more intense/deeper malt flavor in a decoction. With using a sweeter crystal malt, of course! Some brewers "cheat" and use aromatic or melanoidin malt instead of a decoction. But that's a debate for another day.........

I decocted this recipe, and did only a beta rest at 140 for 30 minutes and an alpha rest at 158 for 30 minutes.

I love the flavor of Vienna for malty beers, and use it in many lager styles. I use pilsner for pilsners (of course) and a few Belgians, but I like the richness and sweetness of Vienna malt in this recipe.

Kai's site is probably a great place to read up on decoctions, as he's got a great way of explaining the how/why/when of them.

I've made a similar recipe and it was was very good. The beer judges said that it had too much crystal flavors (and I have to agree.) It scored 34. I don't think you should go over 5% crystal to be to style. Just because it's not to the guidelines doesn't mean it isn't really good. I think your recipe is fine just don't expect to win any ribbons with it.

No ribbon-seeking going on here as of yet. Just looking for a good malty brew to share with friends at a backyard octoberfest party... Also just starting to get away from pre-made kits and trying to create some of my own house recipes. Since I've done almost all of my all-grain brewing from kits (with great success thanks to Northern Brewer), I have yet to delve much into the nuances of how to replicate specific styles or flavors that I'm looking for. I do enjoy the Sam Adams Oktoberfest, and I'm pretty sure there's gotta be some crystal malt in that brew. Though I am trying to start true to the particular style, or as close as I can. Mostly to have a starting point, but also because the purist in me would feel a sense of accomplishment. :) Really appreciate all of the input!

Back