mead fermentation time/temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gecko45

Reaction score
I recently made my first batch of mead, a prickly pear mead (roughly following the recipe I found here). I went easy on the honey (10lbs), and put in just under 6 pounds of peeled/boiled prickly pear flesh (not including the skins). Aeration with a stone + pure 02, a few teaspoons of pectin enzyme, appropriate nutrients, and two packets of Lalvin D-47 (no starter). Starting gravity was at about 1.084.

It is currently in a fermentation fridge with a temperature controller, at 61F. What I'd like to know is when the fermentation would be "mostly done" so that I can safely remove it from the fridge to room temperature (which here will easily reach 80F at times) while still avoiding off flavors from the fermentation. Would two weeks be safe? While we're at it, what kind of final gravity should I expect for this?

Short Version: One temperature controller, in use for mead... want to brew edwort's oktoberfest... dilemma...

You could bump up the ferm temp a bit to the mid/high 60s. D47 likes the 60 degree temps and I think a lot of people have very good success using it around 68F; you're not going to get fusels at that temp. With that SG, given adequate nutrients & pH, I'd estimate about 2 weeks. I think you're in the ballpark.

And with 10lbs honey in a 5 gal batch using D47, I would expect it to go almost completely dry.

It looks like the fermentation on this is just about done: it's dropped clear in the fermentor and I'd like to get it off the yeast bed. I just can't decide if I want it still or sparkling.

I'm personally a fan of sparkling beverages, but I'm interested in any input others have. I've got a kegging setup, so sparkling is actually easier for me. Anyone try out a lower gravity (and I'm assuming dry) mead in both still and sparkling?

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I had the same question and it wasn't really answered. I can only fit one fermenter in my fridge, and really want to make a batch of mead. With beer, I keep it temp controlled for a week then slowly raise the temp to about 70, then take it out and leave it at room temp. Now I know that mead takes much longer to ferment, so how long do I have to temp control it and ensure no off flavors from warmer temps? I just dont want to slow down my beer production for too long, haha. Thanks!

Back