Dish washer to wash bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IAbowhunter86

Reaction score
Pretty much says it all i have heard it is ok to run the bottles through the dishwasher with the hot water wash and this sanitizes them is this a good or bad thing to do? Thanks in advance for any and all the help i can get

I do it all the time. I'll dip them in starsan afterwards too for good measure just before filling.

I use the high-temp setting, it may say "sanitize" or something like that. It's a long, hot cycle. This is after I have rinsed them out and soaked in Oxi-Clean. I'm not saying this is the best or only way, just that it's what I do.

Cheers!

Some dishwasher's don't get hot enough to sanitize I think you need water in the 170-180 range, and water has a hard time making it up the neck. But if your water is hot enough and you pre-wash the bottles with crud in the bottom it's a good technique.

Though I never have, I am a bit skeptical for a three reasons:

Washer jets not reaching inside the bottles. If you place them on the tines to hold them vertical, don't the tines block the water flow into them? If a bottle has a slight tilt, how does the water get in to effectively clean?

Food stuff. There seems to be bits of food in the bottom of the dishwasher at the screen; chance of these getting into a bottle?

Heat, as mentioned above.

Me, as soon as I finish a bottle, I fill it to the rim with hot water and let it sit overnight, then rinse with hot water and rack dry, then sanitize at bottling using a bucket and StarSan.

2 cents finished:mug:

My favorite way to wash/rinse before bottling:

images.jpg

Though I never have, I am a bit skeptical for a three reasons:

Washer jets not reaching inside the bottles. If you place them on the tines to hold them vertical, don't the tines block the water flow into them? If a bottle has a slight tilt, how does the water get in to effectively clean?

Food stuff. There seems to be bits of food in the bottom of the dishwasher at the screen; chance of these getting into a bottle?

Heat, as mentioned above.

Me, as soon as I finish a bottle, I fill it to the rim with hot water and let it sit overnight, then rinse with hot water and rack dry, then sanitize at bottling using a bucket and StarSan.

2 cents finished:mug:

My favorite way to wash/rinse before bottling:

It does clean up inside, you'd be surprised...but i guess it depends on the washer.

Yes foodstuffs can get shoved up there, but you should clean your filter traps out before doing bottles. I actually found out my dishwasher was faulty because it was shooting this crud up into my bottles, worst part was because of the heat cycle the crap got cooked on...to this day there are some bottles i havent been able to use because no matter how long in Oxy/Starsan/you name it i soak them, bottle brush, nothing will get it off.
Realized my dish washer wasnt properly pumping out the dirty water and was probably making my dishes dirtier.

That said, i still do it, now with a newer washing machine lol.
I always use a vinator with starsan solution in it as im bottling though. Pull bottle out of rack, squirt sterilized starsan up in it, let it drain for a few seconds then get beer in it. Any starsan foam gets pushed out the top for all you foam fear'ers.

Back