The accidental double dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phidelt844

Reaction score
So after a few drinks last night I thought it would be a great time to dry hop my ipa I brewed three weeks ago. I had brewed a 10g batch split in to two 5g buckets, and 1 oz Amarillo, 1 oz Simco was to be added to each. I measured out the hops and put the proper amounts in separate containers, popped open a fermenter, and without thinking dumped both containers worth of hops in. So I now have one beer being dryhopped with the regular amount, and one with double. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to minimize the incredible over-hoppiness I would expect from this? I typically dry hop 5-7 days, so I was thinking of knocking this one down to 2-4 or so. I figured some extra conditioning could help as well. But then I'm also wondering if it will be doubley amazing... any thoughts?

My recommendation is go about it as normal. You may have an amazing beer on your hands. And a great experiment at least, comparing different levels of dry hopping.

Too much hoppiness? Not possible :mug:

Other than somehow getting in there and pulling hops out, I'm not really sure what you could do other than just pulling the beer out sooner.

When you bottle, rack 1/2 of each carboy into the bottling bucket. Call it a "blend" or something like that. Either that or just dryhop the one for a shorter amount of time. Of course the 3rd option is to just RDWHAHB and see if you've got a winner or not. I'd give 3 a shot personally.

Assuming the double hops isn't delicious(you never know :D ), I would drink the correctly hopped brew and stick the other one in the closet for a few months. 2-3 months is usually enough time for my dry hopped IPA's to lose all of the dry hoppy aroma's and flavors that come from dry hopping. If the hops are too over powering, just let it age a bit and those flavors should fade.

RDWHAHB I'm sure both beers will be fine. Who knows, maybe you'll start double hopping all your IPAs in the future.

respek_knuckles.gif

Could someone please translate this "too much hoppiness" into english?

Latest posts

Back