priming my cider---need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brycro

Reaction score
Hello,

I have ten gallons of fresh cider that has been in primary for two weeks...I am going to bottle soon and wanted to drop this question....Instead of priming sugar I was thinking about 1/2 cup honey boiled in 16 ounces water and introducing some spices to that boil such as cinnamon, nutmeg, some whole clove and some vanilla bean. Myquestion is this: Is that enough honey and how much of each ingredients per 5 gallon batch to be bottled? I have never made cider and was thinking about this...please give feedback from your experiences. Much obliged.

Your honey addition will really not add any flavor at all to your cider. I'd go with sugar, either corn sugar or good ol' sucrose. As for your spices: be careful with clove, it overpowers very easily. The vanilla bean is also a loser. I have 5 gallons of vanilla mead aging in a keg right now that has very little vanilla flavor, and wasn't exactly tasty last i checked. Cinnamon is a good brewing spice, and nutmeg can be as well. Allspice and/or cardamom may be good. All are kind of 'Christmasy'. If you use cloves, don't add more than one or two or you'll get a cloroseptic-like quality happening.

Back