5L mini keg with Tap - how long does it last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjinsa

Reaction score
Hi

I want to start putting some beer into those 5L mink kegs... priming them as usual with sugar.

I want to also get the proper tap that clips on top of the keg with the mini C02 canister.

Once you have put the tap in and started to drink the beer from the keg, how long does the beer last considering you have the C02 canister in the tap? As in, how much time do you have to drink the whole thing?
I assume because you are keeping it pressurized it should last a while?

Thanks
JJ

Good question, I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking about purchasing one of those myself recently but not sure if it's worth it if you have to drink it all in like 24 hours or something

Mine last about a week and still taste pretty good. Never got further then that because its only about 10 pints

I used the 5L mini kegs for a bit and yes the beer will be fine for a good while. I had a homemade tap system that works similarly to the one you're describing. Is was air tight and kept pressurized with co2 cartridges so the beer stayed fresh and carbed for several weeks.
However, I do not recommend this route as these mini kegs are prone to rusting. I had 5 of them and each one had this issue after just one or two uses.

Ive been using mine since May and each one has had 3-5 uses and ive had no issues with rust. I dont know if its make related and down to how well the coating is layed on the inside. Mine are made by Brewferm and one is recycled from a Greene King beer so if it does go then for another £15 and keg of Old Golden Hen its not too bad. The others are only £7, its the tap thats the most expensive part and seems to be pretty sturdy. Agreed, that corny kegs are a better option but the initial cost and set up is considerably compared to these and i'd prefer to carry a minikeg to a friend or party than lifting a full corny about

Any ideas how long the beer will stay fresh with these taps though?

You'll drink them before they have a chance to turn. I imagine youll have a few weeks at it best as its got a a good blanket of CO2 on top. As i say, mine never last more than a week

Well my idea is to have it in the fridge to have one beer every now and then. I know it will go quickly when at an event etc, just wondering for the odd beer.

Ok, ive had a mini keg tapped since christmas eve and have been sampling slowly to taste the change and its only just starting to get to a point where im not happy with it. It was a pale ale and the hop flavour is definitely not as good. Maybe something with a bit more body to it would last longer. Just thought id update

I'm thinking about getting some mini kegs but will be using the tap on the bottom of the keg does anyone have experience with those?

Want to start filling with homebrew, are you buying them from the beer store filled with beer and than reusing? Or are you buying brand new mini kegs to use for homebrew? I'm wanting to use the ones with the tap on the bottom, I would naturally carb in them. How long do they last? Basically I want to have more beer made and ready to drink I have 2 corny kegs and am starting to collect bottles, curious if these mini kegs are worth the investment or not I like the portability of them for camping and what not or going to a friends for a night id only need one mini keg vs my whole corny keg

I don't like having empty carboys and fermenters so I want to have more ways to store the beer and keep making brews each time my fermenter is empty

I have a store bought 1 and 1 from my LHBS. I wrote an article on this

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/easy-kegs-and-mini-kegs.html

They last 3 or 4 days. Every pour sucks air in through the top so you start to oxidise your beer from the last pour. You can pour the first few without the top open but once the head pressures gone they wont pour.

They are definitely perfect for camping or tasting sessions, easier then a ton of bottles anyway.

I usually only have one or two bottles during the week if any, and on the weekends and camping which is most of my summer I tend to drink quite a bit so I'm not to worried about oxidizing the beer going to read your article now, i have to check a couple more beer stores in town but I'm only seein the heiniken ones which I have read are not good for refilling

I have a store bought 1 and 1 from my LHBS. I wrote an article on this

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/easy-kegs-and-mini-kegs.html

They last 3 or 4 days. Every pour sucks air in through the top so you start to oxidise your beer from the last pour. You can pour the first few without the top open but once the head pressures gone they wont pour.

They are definitely perfect for camping or tasting sessions, easier then a ton of bottles anyway.

Very helpful article thank you for the link going to try check the stores to see who sells mini kegs of something other than Heineken or Newcastle

Ok, ive had a mini keg tapped since christmas eve and have been sampling slowly to taste the change and its only just starting to get to a point where im not happy with it. It was a pale ale and the hop flavour is definitely not as good. Maybe something with a bit more body to it would last longer. Just thought id update

Am I understanding correctly? The date stamp on that post is 29/1/16, so you had a keg tapped for over a month? Was that using the integral gravity tap or a party star tap?

Back