SYL-2352 in BK (Manual Mode)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQ

Reaction score
I did my 7th batch over the weekend and all went ok but I notice that the boiler's PID althou reached the target temp of 207 (the read was 210) was still firing. I found that a bit bizzare. The PID was set on Manual Mode at 70%.

I took a picture just to make sure I am not imagining things...
IMG_20131208_155037.jpg

Any insight, anyone noticed this ? Do I have to tune it again ?:confused:

It's because it was in manual mode. If you want it to hold at a particular temperature you have to have it in auto mode, otherwise it will just keep heating at whatever percentage you have it set to.

So it doesn't look at the targeted temp ? I shall change my boiling to auto. I am still trying to find the sweet spot.

What is your objective?

A decent boil can be achieved by running in manual mode between 65-75%. This depends on the volume and element.

What is your objective?

A decent boil can be achieved by running in manual mode between 65-75%. This depends on the volume and element.

that's the objective. I had 13.4 gallons M70% did it for me but I got a little bit of overflowing in the first minutes of the boild. I want to be free for the time of boil :), so I am looking for the set and go setting, although I need to add hops once in a while.

Manual mode is just that manually controlling the duty cycle. It won't automatically cut back as that would be automatic mode. Most people do manual mode for the boil. Just need to work out what duty cycle works best for your altitude, wort volume and system.

The boil will always rise until the proteins are fully denatured and then it settles down. I don't know of a PID that's going to deal with that.

Maybe with a BCS, but other than that I can think of a couple of ways to deal with a boilover - stand over it and work the heat manually, use a pot big enough to handle the boil or use fermcap https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/possible-boil-over-remedy-443198/

The fermcap solution seems to work the best from what I've read.

So it doesn't look at the targeted temp ? I shall change my boiling to auto. I am still trying to find the sweet spot.

No, in manual mode the PID is not using the temperature feedback.

I assumed you were setting below boiling so you could attend other things to avoid a boil over.

You can't really control the boil in auto mode. Boiling will be at boiling temperature no matter whether it's an intense boil or a weak one, so you to have dial your power in with manual mode.

As boiling approaches I usually dial mine down a bit until the threat of a boil over is gone. I don't have much room in my pot so I watch it carefully and adjust as needed.

Back