old hops in freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppheadIPA

Reaction score
I ordered a 13 pounds of hops from hopsdirect. Well I'm in the military and got deployed so I never got a chance to brew with all of them. There's a few pounds in the freezer at home that haven't been used yet. They will have been in there for about 2 years when I finally get home. They are vacuumed sealed still. My question is, are they going to be ok to use? I wanna brew a few IPA's wen I get home in a few months.

They'll be fine. You'll have lost some of the bittering potential, but if they're vaccuum sealed they should have most of their aroma and flavor. The only issues I've run into were with hops just stored in ziplocks in the freezer. Over time they lose their flavor and aroma, but I still use them for bittering.

I'd say use'em for flavor/aroma hops,since the bittering will have gone down some. Still good since you vacuum sealed them first.

I'm willing to bet they have lost almost none of their bittering potential if they were vacuum sealed, kept in the freezer, and never opened. If you open up the package and they smell fantastic, they probably are.

Whole or pellets?

Pellets keep longer, so there's an even better chance they're fine. You could make a middle of the road APA and see if you get the expected bitterness. Then you'll know what to do with your IPAs. Or just go for it . . .

Ray Daniels in his book Designing Great Beers claims that if stored in the freezer, most hops still have between 81-95% AA depending on the variety. So you should be alright, just factor a slight downgrade in your AA when calculating IBUs.

Back