brewers best german altbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gone

Reaction score
i got this kit for xmas. may make it this weekend. it came with a nottingham dry yeast. would it be better to go with a liquid yeast? also, it says this is a "great beer to ferment cool and cold condition." this is only my fourth batch. would this be worth the extra effort you think?

That was my 1st kit I made. I let the bottles condition for 3 weeks or so, then stored some in the fridge. I also stored some in an un-insulated closet. They improved greatly with age. I think Alt is a hybrid style that you can ferment as in Ale (the kit comes with Ale yeast IRRC) and lager in cold storage, or keep in warm storage

well im brewing this tonight. as far as "fermenting cool" is 55 degrees too low. how low could i safely go. finally, it may pay to have a house with lots of air leaks around the windows. ive got a spare bedroom thats about 58 degrees right now but i could go lower if i closed the vent and kept the door shut.

I did my BB Altbier kit down in the low 60's with the Notty, too low and the yeast may drop out. Cold condition it after fermentation, either bulk or in the bottle. Very good beer!

Notty's temperature range is 57-70 degrees. I'd keep the bedroom at 58 or so, and it should work very well.

I just made this beer over the weekend as my first brew. So far I am on my own and am a complete rookie, but I think I did okay putting it together. I may have got a lot of trub in the beer since there is tons of stuff floating around, not sure if I will need to clarify or second ferment (don't have extra supplies yet). I did add whirlfloc at the last ten minutes of the boil. I pitched the yeast directly into the carboy and swirled around also. Not sure if I should just use the standard airlock or if I should use the hose in a glass method. This video is about 26 hours after putting it in the closet. Any comments are welcome.

http://t.co/t7iM8fcm

Also, posted my progress on twitter as I was brewing.

twitter.com/rideincircles

and on instagram as rideincircles.

The temperature this has been fermenting at is around 66-70 degrees. I don't have many options to lower it more. I have it in the closet with the house access hatch and opened it up to allow cool air in. It has now been around 84 hours since I added the yeast and fermentation has died down. Should I try anything to lower the temperature?

Here is a picture after 72 hours. The video link above is a better gauge though.

http://t.co/PgNbWRH6

Back