Air Lock Blew Off During Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew24

Reaction score
Hello all. Just brewed my second batch on Saturday. Everything looked good with active fermentation on Sunday morning. I returned home on Sunday night and found both the air lock and stopper blown out the top. I sanitized a new air lock and stopper and looks to be bubbling again. Although the beer looks really cloudy now? Is the batch still good?

Should be fine. The early active fermentation process produces enough co2 to act as a barrier.

The cloudiness is the active suspended yeast. It will clear as the yeast drops.

Thanks BrewPharm!. Just was kind of worried. Do you think I should just leave in the primary for a bit? I was gonna go two weeks primary and transfer another two weeks in secondary?

This happened to me yesterday, but I caught it before the lid blew off my Bucket. The thing looked like something out of Aliens. I Ditched the airlock for now and replaced it with tubing and stuck the other end in a bowl of sanitized water,

Yeah, I am convinced already that I need to use a blow off. I just hope I'm in the clear on this batch?

I might need to go to a blowoff. My last batch foamed up with something like chocolate rice krispies on top! It looked like something I could eat :)

Still cool here in the mountains, so brewing temp is about 63. Keeps those yeastie monsters in check.

The secondary is totally up to you. I always use one. Plenty on this forum swear against it. Plenty for it. I like getting the beer off the trub and allowing a few weeks in the secondary to clear more. Many say this will happen in the primary as well after fermentation. My opinion is the more sludge I leave behind with each transfer, the less chance any of it makes it to my glass when I pour it.

Happened to me twice with belgian WY3787 (with fermcap-S to control krausen!). Both batches turned out just fine.

I'm only on my 3rd batch but have already scrapped the airlock for initial fermentation. I feel much safer using a blowoff instead

Latest posts

Back