Ten Gallon Corney Keg Refit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkNugent

Reaction score
My dad found two ten gallon corney kegs at a surplus auction for some sort of science lab. He got them in a lot with stuff he wanted, so they were a bonus for me. I'm looking to get them refitted for kegging but I'm not sure where to start and the FAQs I found didn't apply to this.

The kegs have 3 in-ports and 1 out-port with a diptube. Two of the in-ports have plugs in them and they're sealed with teflon tape.

Any idea what the keg is worth and how much it would be to refit it for kegging?

What do I need to measure and what sort of adapters would I need to put kegging posts on this behemoth?

What sort of cleaning measures should I go through to make sure it's safe to drink beer out of? I have no idea what it's previous use was. It has a NFPA label on it but it's blank.

Here are some pictures so you can see what I'm working with.

J6AtD.jpg

XJnQS.jpg

There are so many possibilities to use this thing with: kegging, lagering, blending, and primary or secondary fermentation. I'm not sure what I'll end up using it for. Suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Mark

It's not really a keg...it's a stainless steel pressure vessel. They're pretty pricey. http://www.alloyproductscorp.com/

If I were you, I'd try to unload it and spend the coin on regular cornies. You'll probably make out pretty well that way. The 10G new version of those starts at $500 with all the fittings (LINK). Granted, yours is 15 years old and looks to be missing some fittings, so don't expect anything near that high.

if you can figure out what threads those are, you can probably find gas and liquid posts for it.

It's probably standard pipe thread. You can get pipe thread to corny thread adapters.

Yeah, if you can find fittings for it I'd just give it a good wash with starsan solution and then a good rinse with easyclean or something and make sure it's able to hold pressure.

I'm not sure what I want to do now with it. Since they cost so much I'm tempted to just sell them and buy regular corneys and have extra money to spend on the kegerator. I think I'll toss them onto ebay and see if they sell. If not, then I can still fit them out.

I'm not sure what I want to do now with it. Since they cost so much I'm tempted to just sell them and buy regular corneys and have extra money to spend on the kegerator. I think I'll toss them onto ebay and see if they sell. If not, then I can still fit them out.

Problem is... no one will buy them for the big price you are probably hoping for. To me paying $100 for one would be too much since right now what you have is a fermenter at best (don't have the needed parts to hold pressure or serve).

I would just keep them and use them for lagering tanks (worst case) because they fit int a refridge well. In the longer term try to find out what pieces you could get to make them work. Best case you find the fittings or buy the ones you need from alloy. Even if you sell them, as working kegs will be way more $$ for you than non working stainless tanks.

Just my .02 cents

Latest posts

Back