Belgian ale recipe - thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Reaction score
For my next brew I'm planning to do a belgian ale loosely based on an Orval clone from BYO's '150 classic clones'. Reason I use the term loosely is because there are a couple of things in there that my HBS doesn't stock so I'm trying to work around it but it's no big deal, I really just want to brew my first belgian. They don't do any brett yeast or belgian pale malt. I was thinking of substituting the belgian pale with pilsner and going with WLP575 Belgian style-ale yeast blend. Just wondering what you guys think? Is pilsner a reasonable sub?

Also, BYO measures the FG at 1.002. I've never gotten a beer below 1.008 and I think it's going to be hard getting it down that low despite the cane sugar.

Recipe:

Pilsner 60%
Viena 22%
Cane Sugar 16%
Crystal 150L 2&

Hops (32 IBU)
Hallertau Hersbruck @60
Styrian Goldings @30 & 15

Do you guys think that this looks like a decent recipe? I'm not too fussy on getting it real close to Orval, as I said just want to brew a solid belgian.

Your thoughts are as always appreciated!
G

It's not going to be a huge beer or anything, I'm looking at a SG of 1.060. Do you suggest making a larger starter than what's required for a beer of that gravity? Also, how do you feel about the pilsner in place of the belgian pale? I'd have liked to use the belgian pale, but it's not available from any of the stores here

Does your LHBS carry Wyeast? They have a Belgian ale yeast blend this quarter that includes brett, if I'm not mistaken. Subbing the pale malt for pilsner probably won't make a huge difference. Stick with a continental malt, and you'll end up with something in the ball park, no doubt.

If you're going for an Orval-like beer, try doing like Orval and bottle it with Brett. Let your FG stay high enough to give the brett something to use, say 1.008 and add the brett at bottling with half the priming sugar you'd normally use. It'll get down to 1.004 at least that way!

My LHBS stock Wyeast & White Labs, but unfortunately their Wyeast stock is low, on top of that I don't recall them ever having any brett strains but I can ask them, only problem is I want to brew it pretty soon.

It's strain # 3789. It was a seasonal strain last quarter. Most places seem to stock the seasonals. Give them a call and ask.

Back