loose/light/fluffy yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikesalvo

Reaction score
I brewed a 5 gallon batch of 60 min. IPA clone yesterday. All went well, but I am a little bit worried about the appearence of my fermentation.

I made a starter using one pint of water, 5 tbsp xlight DME, and some ranched and washed 1187 yeast I've had in my fridge for about a month. I let the starter sit for 24 hours, and pitched it to my wort. This morning, about 15 hours after pitching, the carboy is showing normal signs of fermentation ( born looking kreusen curently about one bubble every 5 seconds or so) but the yeast cake is very loose and fluffy looking and there's are fluffy chunks of yeast floating in the carboy. I've personally never seen this before. I'm thinking the yeast may just not be very healthy and maybe I should pitch more if my FG isn't reached. Should I be worried that its something more drastic? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks, as always!

Sounds pretty normal to me. The yeast just started to ferment so that's why they haven't dropped out since there's still fermentable sugars available for them to eat. In a week or two you'll start to see them flocc out more and make a tighter yeast cake.

Latest posts

Back