Beersmith and boil volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
All,

I created a recipe for my first AG batch. I'm using a 10gal mash tun, but I'll be doing a 5 gallon batch. Beersmith is showing that my pre-boil volume will be 2.5 gallons. Does this sound right? Do you lose almost half of your batch when you go all grain? It almost seems like it's trying to ratio it like an extract.

Thanks!

No that doesn't make sense to me. Make sure you've got the settings for 'full boil', correctly set for your equipment, and you can set your preboil volume. Basically, you need to set your preboil volume so that after boil off, you will end up with the volume you are looking for.

Perhaps it's telling you that your mash water will be 2.5 gallons. Your sparge water will be more than that, probably giving you something like 6 pre-boil gallons total.

Also check out your equipment settings in Beersmith. There are variables to set for the equipment including boil-off rate, loss to trub. You'll need to get those set correctly for your set-up/experience.

I had the exact same issue with Beersmith 2 this weekend. The tun size for my equipment for some reason kept dropping down to 3gal instead of 6gal, I still have to hop onto the Beersmith forums and make a bug note for Brad. My memory is fuzzy but I believe that I had to uncheck the "calculate boil volume" checkbox.

BS has lots of little places to adjust things. It can take a while to get it all digested. Their tech forums are a decent place to get help too.

Back