Legality of Death Posts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Often there are death rumors of celebrities which are untrue.

Isn't it illegal for someone to knowingly say someone died when they didn't?

Like if I started a thread that said:
On October 20th "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase and James Brian Hellwig aka Ultimate Warrior where found shot dead inside a Vegas hotel. Police are releasing very few details at this time but a murder-suicide is suspected. Police have stated they are not looking for a suspect.
Even though that's untrue and I know it. Could reporting that as true be illegal?

Kind of curious why you want to know, but I would say as long as you said, I heard, or it was reported, etc, that you would be covered. I can't imagine it is illegal to report what you hear.

I with Cubbies on this one. I think that's how the tabloids get away with so much. Simply by using "as reported", "allegedly", etc.

The Million Dollar Man and Ultimate Warrior are dead??? No! say it ain't so :D

can you be held libel for defamation of character by saying someone's dead? I mean sales of Slim Jim's might fall if people thought Ultimate Warrior was dead

In a very, very strange coincidence, just last night I went to deadoraliveinfo.com and looked up Lee Majors ("The Six Million Dollar Man". ) Seriously.

The Million Dollar Man and Ultimate Warrior are dead??? No! say it ain't so :D

can you be held libel for defamation of character by saying someone's dead? I mean sales of Slim Jim's might fall if people thought Ultimate Warrior was dead

I think you mean Macho Man Randy Savage.

Back