hyDrometer temperature correction tables?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
Just curious n00b here,

Is an hyDrometer temperature correction table universal, or will it vary slightly depending on the model?
I am asking as I now have two (as I collect unused/unloved beermaking kits from friends and family!) and fear of mixing things up.

I used capital D as a reminder to myself that the device in not an hyGrometer as I first thought, when not paying attention...!

I think it'll vary according to the model. Most that I've seen referred to in books have 60 degrees as the temperature they're calibrated to, but the hydrometer I bought from my LHBS says it's accurate at 68 degrees. It should say on the pack. Alternatively, put some water in the flask and see what reading each of your hydrometers gives - if they read the same, it'll probably be OK to use them interchangeably.

The two hydrometers seem to read just about the same, yet a hair different - note that his is a new instrument to me..!

The one I have instructions for reads;

temp / correction

60 0
70 Add .001
77 Add .002
84 Add .003

You need to know the calibration temp of the hydrometer.

I think most US ones tend to be 60°F.

The way to check it take a reading at 60°F of water (preferably boiled or distilled) and confirm it reads 1.000

Sorry for such a novice question, but I too am about 2 days into fermentation of my first batch...

Is it even necessary to use the hydrometer and do any tast testing, or as a beginner am I better off minimizing the risk of contamination? I am just making a simple amber from a hopped malt extract...as basic as it gets.

The owner of the local brew store where I bought my kit said to just let it ferment two weeks, bottle it and let that sit for two weeks, and drink. He indicated at this level there's no need to test etc.

Thoughts on this?

Latest posts

Back