converting an AG recipe to extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is this hard to do? I found a recipe I want to try, but its an AG recipe, and I'm not setup for that. (yet)
I'm going to take a printed copy to my LHBS and see what the owner has to say...

Advice?

As always, :mug:

birdley123 said:
Is this hard to do? I found a recipe I want to try, but its an AG recipe, and I'm not setup for that. (yet)
I'm going to take a printed copy to my LHBS and see what the owner has to say...

Advice?

As always, :mug:

I use this, which I found very helpful.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewbeer/extract/pres.pdf

It is a little dated, but the Info is good.

What you will find is that the answer to your question depends on the recipe. If it is almost all two row with maybe some crystal, no problem: extract plus steeping. If it has certain other grains that need to be mashed, you may have to do a partial mash. Don't worry. It is a little intimidating, but not as hard as it may seem. And you can do BIAB on your stove without buying anything extra (aside from a $2 paint strainer bag).

Maybe its late in the day, or just me, but that made my head hurt!
Did I mention I'm a noob? I'm going to brew my first batch Saturday.
I was hoping to get this ready for my second round...

birdley123 said:

Give us the recipe and much advice will follow.

It's generally very easy to convert an AG recipe to extract or partial mash.

If you post the recipe, I'll do it in just a couple of minutes. I'm on a netbook, and I'm almost 49. No WAY I can see that, sorry!

let me try again, All I've got is a screengrab

I tried to make it larger, but obviously no luck! AARRGGH...

recipe.jpg

It looks like 7 pounds of two-row? Keep the other grains and ingredients the same (steeping the crystal and adding the candi sugar as directed) and keep in mind that in general, one pound of two-row equals .75 pound pale LME or .6 pound light DME. So, use 5 pounds of LME (rounding it off) or 4 pounds DME.

You'd steep the crystal malt, then add about 1/2 of the extract at the start to your water after steeping, hop as directed, then add the rest of the extract near the end of the boil (take the pot off the heat to do that). That sound do it.

Let us know if you need more specific instructions, or just post the link so we can see it better if you need more help.

birdley123 said:

Sorry. I read that when I was pretty new and didn't think it was bad, but I read it early in the day at work :).

The hardest part is determining whether or not you need to mash. If not, you just replace 2 row with malt extract. (Basically, you do what Yooper told you to do.)

Yooper said:
It's generally very easy to convert an AG recipe to extract or partial mash.

If you post the recipe, I'll do it in just a couple of minutes. I'm on a netbook, and I'm almost 49. No WAY I can see that, sorry!

Wait; did yooper just tell us how old she was?

Back