Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpres1977

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew this tomorrow on my b-day :mug: ..... not the big b-day brew personnaly to my taste but had many request around the neighborhood for a lighter less hoppier / non IPA (my taste) beer for all the BMC drinkers round here. I was looking to go a bit heavier on the body then the the traditional cream ale hoping for that added creamier feel....anyway you guys let me know what you think....

Cream Ale
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 5/15/2009
Style: Cream Ale Brewer: Robert
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Volume: 6.82 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 61.00 %
Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (12 Gal)

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
6 lbs Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
2 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt - (Durst Vienna 3.8L) (4.0 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
1 lbs Corn - Yellow, Flaked (Briess) (1.3 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
0.75 oz Cascade [5.70 %] (55 min) Hops 14.9 IBU
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [7.10 %] (2 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Beer Stat Estimates:
Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.052 SG (1.044-1.055 SG) Estimated Final Gravity: 1.012 SG (1.007-1.010 SG)
Estimated Color: 4.8 SRM
Bitterness: 16.6 IBU (10.0-22.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 4.3 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.25 %

Mash Schedule:
Protein Rest @ 122.0 F 30 min
Saccrification @ 154.0 F 30 min
Mash Out @ 168.0 F 10 min
Batch Sparge @ 168 F 45 min

If it were me, i would drop the 6-row and just use 2-row. You will have plenty of enzymes to convert that mash just with 2-row. I haven't ever used 6-row as the majority of my grain bill so take this as a grain of salt.

I ended up going with the 6-row and brewed as listed and plan on crashing it tomorrow for a few days and kegging it up.....I'll keep you posted on how it turns out though.

If it were me, i would drop the 6-row and just use 2-row. You will have plenty of enzymes to convert that mash just with 2-row. I haven't ever used 6-row as the majority of my grain bill so take this as a grain of salt.
It's not an issue of enzymatic power, the amount 6 row has over 2 row is negligible. However, 6 row has a different flavor profile that is traditional and appropriate in some early American styles such as Cream Ales and CAP. I think using all 6 row or a blend like you did is a great idea in this style...I wouldn't be hesitant to up the corn a bit too!

Looks like a solid recipe.
I'm curious how noticeable the Amarillo hops are in the finished beer. Amarillo seems like a potent flavor for cream ale, not that I'd complain mind you :)

So far this is a mighty tasty brew....nowhere near fully carbonated yet as I just kegged it yesterday but I'm liking this one. The six row does add a bit more grainy flavor in conjunction with the vienna.......the amarillo so far seems it wasn't overpower at all by any means but I'm sure it may come out just another hair once carbonated fully. I will agree with tonedef and I think next time I brew it I will up the corn a bit maybe to 1.5 or even 2lbs but hopefully that wont dry it out too much.....nonetheless, so far I'm very pleased with this one....

Back