Batch Size Info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d37fan

Reaction score
Southeast Kansas, a stones throw from Big Brutus
I bottled my first batch last night, and due to dry hopping in the secondary, I came up a few bottles short of 48 for a 5 gallon recipe. I know some brew 5.5 and 6 gallons for this reason, but at what point do you have to adjust the recipe to account for the extra water addition?
Dale

Generally, just not sweating the precise number of bottles is good. Have 55 or so 12 oz (or equivalent volume) ready to go, and expect not to use all of them - as for the precise number you get on any given batch, "it varies".

Batch size is driven more by pot and/or fermenter size. i.e., I brew enough to be fairly sure of filling my 5 gallon secondaries pretty full, after leaving the usual amount of trub in my primary. From a blowoff point of view, a touch less in the primary would be good. Precise number of bottles out the end is not really a consideration. If a batch has more trub, the secondary is not as full. If it has less I'm sometimes figuring out what to do with an extra quart of green beer.

Back