Orange bugs??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mykayel

Reaction score
Does anyone know what these are? Do I need to worry about them?

bugs2.jpg

bugs1.jpg

I found this picture with googles help and a hunch that they are an aphid...

aphid.jpg

The yellow one on the bottom right looks like your ones... ( + off topic Imust compliment you're photo skills)

There is information on them at this site...

Hope this helps...

Some kind of aphid. [Edit: Oops, I'm a little slow to the punch, apparently. :)]

Aphids. They are literally sucking the life out of your hops.

Faster ***** Cat! Kill! Kill! Kill!

And my hops were doing so well... Okay, how do I kill? Seven is all I have on hand but I have never used it as my garden was doing wonderfully. My tomatoes are right in the middle of all of my hops so I don't really want to put something on them that will comprimise either the tomatoes or the hops. Any suggestions as to how to kill them?

You can make homemade insecticidal soap with a teaspoon of Dawn dish soap and a quart of water in a spray bottle. Low tech but also not dangerous those using the plants to make beer. Blasting them off with the garden hose works in a pinch.

+1 on aphids....i had some bug problems myself but i went to walmart and picked up some organic pesticide which is safe on fruiting trees and vegetables meant for consumption and it cleared it right up...oh and its also for use with tomato plants FYI

I used Safer Insect Killing Soap that I picked up at Lowe's for the Japanese beetles that were tearing apart my hops. I gave them a good soaking on the tops and bottoms of the leaves and it worked great. The label says it takes care of aphids as well. I was trying the organic stuff before I resorted to chemicals and I'm very happy with how this stuff worked out.

well since I had it sitting around I sprayed Seven on everything last night. When I checked this afternoon, I didn't see anything other than the white residue of the Seven. I'll have to pick up some organic stuff the next time I'm at Lowes.

Yep, aphids. From here:

"Hop aphid infestations develop more rapidly during cool weather. Heavy populations of 8 to 10 aphids/leaf will weaken plants and reduce yields, and the application of an insecticide is recommended. Aphids should be controlled before or during the flowering stage to keep them from entering the young cones. Aphid predators, including lady beetles, green lacewings, and syrphid or hover fly larvae, can be used to help control aphids."

Back