Ingredients to Keep on Hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autobaun70

Reaction score
Doing my first all grain batch this weekend, and seeing the various ingredients available, and looking through the recipes, I think a small investment in some base ingredients is in order. Also, getting a basic mill will open up the option of grinding my own grain, and buying by the bag.

I typically prefer pale and amber ales, which was the basis of my base list.

1) standard 2 row malt, I can save $27.50/50lbs when purchased un-milled locally.
2) Cascade hops, by the pound online.
3) Basic Bittering Hops by the pound, looking for recommendations here.
4) Light/Extra Light DME, not really looking for major savings here, as I don't see needing that much of it, just enough on hand to adjust gravity as needed.
5) A few packs of US-05.

I have a good supply of specialty grains and other hops available locally at Thomas Creek brewery, and can pick up fill in items on a per recipe basis. They are only a couple miles from where I work. Grain prices are in the 2.00-2.50 range for specialty grains, and hops are 2.25-3.00.

What am I overlooking? My primary goal is to get my per batch price in the $20-$25 range per 5 gallons for everyday drinking beer. I can't really see myself getting into competitions or that sort of thing (I have way to many hobbies already), but I do want to be able to consistantly brew high quality beer of the styles that I like, without dropping $30.00/case on them.

You are right on track. I get base malt by the sack, all others by the pound at the LHBS. Hops by the pound online. Magnum is supposed to be a good bittering hop. I use Columbus. IMO anything above 10% AA is probably good enough.

Maybe don't forget corn sugar. That's always useful in a pinch, like DME.

If you want to drive your batch cost down, consider reusing yeast. Saves only $3 per batch with US-05, but that's like 15% of a $20 batch.

Saving yeast is something I have definitely had in my mind. My thought is to stick with recipes that can utilize inexpensive dry yeast, and play around with other factors a bit until I get a really good handle on things. I've done quite a bit of playing around with CP's brew chart (quite nice I might add) to get a feel of what variables in turn effect which aspects of brewing. I am thinking that once I get a little more advanced, I may dive into more variations in terms of yeast, and at that point the effort (and resulting savings) from re-using more expensive liquid yeast options may become attractive.

You got it under control for sure!

Once you try a few other grains out you might find one you want to buy by the bag as well.

I always keep an extra Montrachet yeast as well for apfelwein and the corn sugar is a good idea.

I picked up a lb of nugget for bittering around Christmas for $8. It works great.

For non brewing materials an extra thermometer is always a good idea.

Cheers

We recently bought a corona mill, to do just what you're talking about doing.

We picked up two 50lb sacks of 2-row, 20-25lbs of various grains to brew up at least 4 recipes worth, hops for those 4 recipes, and a bag of DME for spinning up starters. In the future I plan on saving a bit of wort and diluting it appropriately to freeze and then make up starters with. Should save me a bit of money there too. We're using washed yeast too - we'll have pacman and US-05 in the fridge :)

Back