roasting your own grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristfin

Reaction score
i've beer reading john palmer's "how to brew" and randy moshers "radical brewing" about how to roast my own grain.

one question that i haven't found an answer to is, when making crystal malt, can i just roast carapils (which is light crystal) or do i have to soak pale ale for 24 hours and then cook it for 2 and dry and then roast like randy mosher talks about?

i live in iceland and the only crystal i can get here is carapils and then some caramunich II which is 63L.

You may have some results that way but the best crystal malts are roasted green. I.E. imediately after a light drying from the malting process.

oki. so if i understand it right, then mosher is just taking a step back by soaking the pale ale, and then continue like usually with crystal.

then its just ship ahoy and start soaking pale ale.

Here's a great thread on the subject. Lots of people have great success making their own crystal from pale ale malt. Good luck, and take some time to read that rather long thread (it's full of information).

Back