First time using a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grohr

Reaction score
Ok forgive me if I sound ignorant, I just read the thread Force carbing and I'm confused, let me explain my issue, for a Christmas present my children are giving me a keg setup, 3 five gallon kegs, co2 tank, the whole setup, I have two brews I want to put in the kegs now for Christmas, the kegs will be in my closet at 70ish, I don't want to add priming sugar if I don't need to, at what pressure should I set the kegs at that will be safe and not over carbonate and how do you read this chart? The beers are 1 ale and the second is a lager that will be ready this weekend.

Ok forgive me if I sound ignorant, I just read the thread Force carbing and I'm confused, let me explain my issue, for a Christmas present my children are giving me a keg setup, 3 five gallon kegs, co2 tank, the whole setup, I have two brews I want to put in the kegs now for Christmas, the kegs will be in my closet at 70ish, I don't want to add priming sugar if I don't need to, at what pressure should I set the kegs at that will be safe and not over carbonate and how do you read this chart? The beers are 1 ale and the second is a lager that will be ready this weekend.

Here's the chart that I used to get a handle on how it works - http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

This chart doesn't go up to 70F, so we'll use 65F which is the highest temperature they have.

2.4 volumes is a pretty standard carbonation level. So we'll go along the bottom of the chart until we hit 2.4 and then go up to see the PSI to set the regulator to. In this case it is 27 PSI.

It's always MUCH better to force carbonate at lower temperatures because the CO2 dissolves much better in cold beer than warm beer, but this way should also work for you. Just remember to bleed the pressure and turn it down before serving or letting it sit at colder temperatures.

Thank you, I think I have it now, when I go to refrigerate do I drop the pressure first or let it come down in temp then drop pressure, my serving pressure according to the set up my local brew shop sold me is 11 psi

I'd put it in the fridge to get temp down and then to be safe drop the pressure before hooking up to the 11 psi. Just in case the keg is over carbonated.

IMO, you would be better off priming the kegs with sugar while they are being kept warm. You only need to use half the sugar you would normally use for bottling. By the time you are ready to put the kegs in the keggerator they will basically be already primed and then you will only need to set the co2 at serving pressure and you'd be good to go!

Trying to carbonate a beer that arm with co2 and then getting it cold most likely would result in carbonation issues when you are actually ready to serve. What's the harm in using the sugar since they are only going to be sitting in a closet for a few weeks anyway;)

Thank you all for responding to my post, I think I will use the priming sugar and let it sit in my closet

Everything's been covered above, so i'll just add: Sounds like you've got some awesome kids!

Love them and a great wife that gives me time to brew on the weekends even if I sit in my garage all day drinking home brew and taking my time brewing, she even helps me clean up and bottle! Hahahaha! Brewing is the life for me!

Latest posts

Back