High temp tubing... Which kind?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishBrewer74

Reaction score
I'm working on assembling what I need for my transition to AG. My question is which is better... High temp silicone or thermoplastic? Neither are particularly cheap. My LHBS (northern brewer) only has the thermoplastic and my other goto for ordering (Midwest) wants $3 per foot for silicone. I'm looking to use cam lock releases and was hoping to just slip the tubing over the threaded fittings like Bobby shows in his videos. Has anyone had any luck sliding the thermoplastic over the threads? Any advice on which to go with? I think I can get away with no hard bends based on my design so thermoplastic would seem the feasible choice at $1.65 a foot, but not if I have to spend additional on barbed fittings.

Brewershardware has silicone tubing for $2.10 a foot: 1/2" Silicone Tubing from Brewers Hardware

I prefer silicone over the thermoplastic as you can see the wort flowing ...

+1 Silicone for sure, I use it in my portable pump rig, like dutchoven said, you can see the wort flowing, and it can withstand temps well above the boiling point.

Back