Aeration question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavdowg

Reaction score
People talk about using aeration stones for their wort prior to pitching, but what would be the problem with just drilling a bunch of small holes in the end of a racking cane attached to your O2 line and letting your O2 bubble out of that? It seems that keeping a stone sanitized is a bit of a concern from what I've read. Sanitizing the racking cane is no more involved what we normally do. Would this work, maybe 8-10 holes drilled in the end?

Do you have a 6 micron drillbit?

The airstones produce microbubbles, which are more easily absorbed than larger bubbles. They also rise to the surface more slowly, which again increases absorption rate.

stainless steel airstones are not hard to sanitize. takes as long as a racking cane.

only used mine once but before i let sit in santizer for 15 minutes. then after i soaked for some time in oxyclean, then rinced and soaked in santizer again while i was doing other things.

need small holes to make small bubbles to dissolve the oxygen into the wart easier. creates more surface area in contact with the wart allowing more diffusion.

Do you have a 6 micron drillbit?

The airstones produce microbubbles, which are more easily absorbed than larger bubbles. They also rise to the surface more slowly, which again increases absorption rate.

stainless steel airstones are not hard to sanitize. takes as long as a racking cane.

Yeah, don't you? Just kidding, Malkore. I didn't know that the holes would need to be that small. And since the SS stones are easy to sanitize I guess that shoots my great idea down. That's what's great about this site!

Latest posts

Back