Oops I boiled the specialty Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mugsfull

Reaction score
I'm a noob. I put the 1 lb of crystal malt grains in the pot @ 140F, I turned my back for a few minutes and it was boiling. I killed the heat but I wonder if I should dump this 3 gallons, wait till Monday till the HBS opens and get another lb of grains.

Or do I go forward today? Any suggestions? THANKS!

Yup, you screwed up......but really, I would still continue the brew and taste what you get. Making mistakes and tasting the results is the best way to learn.

Anyway, it will still be beer, and sometimes we actually enjoy the mistakes. ;)

More than likely the beer will be fine...Worst case scenario is that it may need some extra time in the bottle to condition out any harshness from boiling the grains. (Some folks believe that with boiling you extract tannins...but some folks have proved otherwise and there beer has turned out fine.)

So I would say relax...we all make all sorts of mistakes and our beer has turned out fine..so more than likely you will be fine.

You can read some stories of our mistakes here. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

Never throw beer away just because you made a "mistake". Be sure to write down in your brewing notes that you boiled your grains and how long they boiled. There is nothing worse than creating the best beer of your life and not knowing what you did and not being able to recreate it.

Never throw beer away just because you made a "mistake". Be sure to write down in your brewing notes that you boiled your grains and how long they boiled. There is nothing worse than creating the best beer of your life and not knowing what you did and not being able to recreate it.

Yup. Except for an actually infection, it is really a waste to dump beer...I think waaaaayyyyyy to many new brewers do it. But if you read the stories in THIS thread, you will see that, way more often then not, you end up with drinkable, if not damn fine beer.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

Back