Mash Tun Depth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyanmonkey

Reaction score
I just upgraded my picnic cooler from 9.5 to 17 gallons.

How concerned should I be about grain bed depth. I'm running RIMS and constantly recirculating, so I wondered if it'd be as big of an issue. If I need to I'll use keep both mash tuns, but id rather have a one size fits all.

I typically make 5 gallon batches.

You should be fine. It can't be any taller than a keggle and keggles work great.

How do you lauter? I always had sticking issues with my slotted copper manifold. Now I have a full size false bottom and it's awesome.

It's a rectangular picnic cooler. I had considered just getting a round igloo or a false bottom for a kettle, but I had this one lying around.

It's considerably wider.

I'm using a bazooka screen, but really have been considering a copper manifold recently.

I'd think about the depth. The thinner grainbed you have the more junk will be allowed to pass through it and make it into your boil. This means more trub. And depending on how you cool it, and how clear wort you want in you fermentor, more time will be needed to let it settle, and your BH-efficiency will drop just at little bit, if that is of any concern.

I'm running RIMS and whirlpooing at KO.

Why would efficiency drop? This is a concern to an extent.

Back