Can't Remember if I Purged

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
So I kegged my scottish ale on Saturday and now I cannot remember if I purged the keg (been that kind of weekend); how concerned should I be? (Note: I'll be letting all the gas out when I get home this afternoon just in case).

CO2 always sinks lower than O2 so if you have any in there at all, it will be on top. I honestly think pre and post purging is a little overcautious. I do it anyway, but I've forgotten before.

I too would like to hear some opinions on how much of a difference purging makes - let's just say that I've forgotten to purge on a few occasions myself... I don't have my whole brewing process down to a science yet like some people do, so if it had been causing me any issues I wouldn't have been able to put my finger on it. Not trying to question if it's worth doing (I'm sure it is, and plan to do so every time), but just want to know how bad it is if you forget - if nothing else, to help scare myself into remembering it every time ;)

edit: I was a little slow, thanks for the above answers...

Not purging the CO2 from your keg increases the probabilty of oxidizing your beer. Purging the head space takes 30 seconds. IMHO it's worth the peace of mind.

You may not be fully qualified to judge the impact of a slight amount of toxic air in your keg.

Tell you what…once it’s all carb’d and cold, go ahead and fill up about 6…no wait…24 bottles and ship them to me for testing. I won’t charge you for the service and I’ll let you pick up the shipping this time.

Seriously, unless you farted in your keg prior to filling, I’d be willing to bet my left carboy that it’s perfectly fine.

BierMuncher said:
Seriously, unless you farted in your keg prior to filling, I’d be willing to bet my left carboy that it’s perfectly fine.

ROFLOL!

Methane is heavier than CO2, so it would be hard to purge it from the keg once he purged it from his system. Then again he could turn it upside down and let it fall out. :D

BierMuncher said:

Is this a new approach to dry hopping? :tank:

Latest posts

Back