Pizza

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a recipe for a beer dough pizza.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]Fogazzo Beer Batter Oven Pizza Dough Recipe[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]This is a tried and true, wood fired oven pizza dough recipe for all occasions. It is easy to make, has a short proof time (4 hours) lasts for several days and freezes well.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]Ingredients:
4 cups unbleached wheat flour
1 ¼ cups beer (or water)
1 packet active dry yeast
8 tablespoons olive oil
1 egg
¼ teaspoon salt
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]Preparation:
Beer makes the dough flakier and lighter, but if you prefer, water can be used in its place. Heat beer to 110 degrees, add yeast and wait 5 minutes to be sure it is activated (foamed). Add olive oil, egg and salt. Mix with a spoon or whisk.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]In a kitchen mixer, add liquid ingredients over flour and mix on lowest speed using a dough hook for 6 minutes. Increase speed one notch and mix for another 2 minutes. Place mixed dough on lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap for 2 hours or until double in size. Remove from bowl, cut into 4 equal pieces, form into balls and place on lightly oiled tray. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]Each dough ball yields a 14 inch pizza.[/FONT]

I'm going to give this a try. Looks good. I can throw it into my bread machine. We like to make dough and then everyone makes their own personal pizzas.

Orfy, forgive my ignorance but do we (British and American) use the same measuring standards for cooking or did you convert the recipe?

Thanks Orfy! :mug:

Sounds like a good recipe. Mrs. Dude can use the dough-hook on her new KitchenAide mixer :)

One possible variation: using semolina flour (hard wheat flour) to substitute for any proportion of the flour (up to about 75%) makes a great pizzacrust: it's crustier and IMHO a little tastier that way.

uwmgdman said:
Maybe a spent grain pizza crust would be in the works next?

Hmm...that's intriguing.

IIRC, one of the recipes in the back of the Beer Captured book is for a pizza dough with malted barley (not spent, though, I don't think) in it.

Do spent grains have any flavor or nutrition left in them?

cweston said:
Do spent grains have any flavor or nutrition left in them?

There's some left, unless you've hit the magical 100% efficiency mark!

Or 110% efficiency - I think I saw someone claim that on the greenboard.

I'd love for the proposed new recipe section to include spent-grain recipes. SWMBO loves making bread, I love making beer; how much more symbiotic can you get?

the_bird said:
I'd love for the proposed new recipe section to include spent-grain recipes. SWMBO loves making bread, I love making beer; how much more symbiotic can you get?

My buddies dad came down to watch me brew, and when he went back home he took about 6 cups of spent grain with him. He then came back later that evening with a great spent grain bread. He was pretty conservative with adding grains, but it was still a great bread. I could only imagine a whole pizza right out of the oven......

RichBrewer said:
I'm going to give this a try. Looks good. I can throw it into my bread machine. We like to make dough and then everyone makes their own personal pizzas.

Orfy, forgive my ignorance but do we (British and American) use the same measuring standards for cooking or did you convert the recipe?

I think I have a bread machine somewhere. I haven't used it in years. Do you just throw in the ingredients and let it do it's thing and stop it before it starts baking?

RichBrewer said:

It's US sizes. I've not tried the dough yet but will.

Thanks for the recipe orfy I might give this a go. One thing which really improves pizza dough is to roll it out on semolina or polenta (corn meal) to give it a bit of texture.

Beer always goes well with pizza, a hoppy pilsner or something.

I'm gonna do the dough now. At 10.00am it's a little early to have a HB.

Okay, so let's make this a proper beer pizza.

I have some harvested yeast in the fridge so lets make a pizza dough starter.

300ml beer warmed to 25c, 1 teaspoon of harvested yeast from an IPA, 1 teaspoon of dme.
Leave for 30 minutes.

600g Plain flour
50g Semolina
pinch of salt
1 egg
120 ml olive oil.

Lets see how that does.

PICT0005-1.JPG

Here you can pair wine with pizza too...

Attachments

• Excellent Recommendation on Pairing Wine with Pizza.jpg
    Excellent Recommendation on Pairing Wine with Pizza.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 29
Back