Chill Haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathanderthal

Reaction score
I recently made an all grain batch of something similar to Hopslam. It is completely clear in the bottle; however it developed a chill haze when I placed it in the freezer last night. I'm thinking that this haze is either coming from the 1lb of honey in my recipe or from my process. At the end of sparge during my brewing session I accidentally allowed my sparge water to get in the 180 - 185 F range - this most likely occurred only in the last gallon of sparge. There is no hint of tannin or astringent taste in my beer, but I think it's possible that this has something to do with the haze. Any suggestions or ideas are very welcome here. Thanks.

Did you use any fining agents during the process? Chill haze can be avoided with Irish moss or isinglass so the proteins have something to bind and fall of suspension with. At this point you can't do much about it.

Whirlfloc and I also use a plate chiller. I believe my problem may be that the beer is still bottle conditioning, and that it could have something to do with the yeast still being in suspension. It's only been 7 days since I bottled.

Chill haze is caused by a combination of tannins and proteins. To prevent chill haze, you need to either reduce the tannins or proteins.

I don't think 180*F is too high for sparge water, and I have not heard of honey causing haze.

You can also get chill haze if you don't have enough calcium in your water. I did this in the last batch of pale ale on accident. I tried acidifying the water with phosphoric (I have a high alkalinity) and it took alot of the calcium out of the water. Not doing that again... if I need to adjust water with acids I'll use hydrochloric or lactic. Usually I'll just dilute with distilled and add salts.

Most of the time putting the bottles in the fridge for about a week (after they've fully carbed) will start to settle the beer for me. Not that the SWMBO's too happy about the space it takes up, but hey, I like clear beer.:mug:

I found that works also. You can actually see the haze settle out, you will start with an inch of clear beer at the neck and it will just drop out over time.

Latest posts

Back