Equate Epsom Salt safety

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barroomhero1234

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have done some research and I can't find anything on this I did find a similar but not exact.

I have some Epsom Salt and it says not recommended for oral use.
I saw another similar question and people said go for it its fine, I want to use about a gram to build up my water, is this stuff safe. It is for all grain brewing,
Thanks in advance
Scott

It's not "safe" if you take too much of it. The dosage you get from a few beers is hardly anything.

The warning on the package is to prevent people from eating a few teaspoons at a time.

Here is what Wiki says:
Indications for its internal use are

* Replacement therapy for hypomagnesemia.[6]
* Magnesium sulfate is the first-line antiarrhythmic agent for torsades de pointes in cardiac arrest under the 2005 ECC guidelines and for managing quinidine-induced arrhythmias.[7]
* As a bronchodilator after beta-agonist and anticholinergic agents have been tried, e.g. in severe exacerbations of asthma.[8] Recent studies have revealed that magnesium sulfate can be nebulized to reduce the symptoms of acute asthma.[8] It is commonly administered via the intravenous route for the management of severe asthma attacks.
* A 2004 research study showed that both magnesium and sulfate are absorbed through the skin when bathing in 1% w/v solution.[9]
* Magnesium sulfate can be used to treat eclampsia in pregnant women.[10]
* Magnesium sulfate can also delay labor in the case of premature labor, to delay preterm birth.[11][12]
* Intravenous magnesium sulfate may be able to prevent cerebral palsy in preterm babies.[13]
* Solutions of sulfate salts such as Epsom salt may be given as first aid for barium chloride poisoning.

My grandmother always used it as a laxative....are sure you need it in your beer????? All kidding aside you will be fine it won't kill you or loosen you up in the amounts you are using. The box says you can take 2-4 teaspoons in 8 ounces of water twice a day

Back