leek or onion melomel/metheglin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unferth

Reaction score
Sometimes I have ideas that make me run to the LHBS or the grocery store and throw things in a primary with effervescent glee. Then, after a couple, well, less-than-successful experiments (pickle ale, molasses wine) I started hearing this little voice say "uh, Unferth, you might want to run this one by the HBT folks first."

Well, the voice went off again. I was thinking a light sweet onion or leek addition to a spicy (probably dry) mead might be very nice. Then again, maybe not.

Any thoughts? Experience?

It sounds as terrible as my parsnip wine. The onions would probably give it a nice sulfuric acid smell.

The issue is this.......

If you can eat "it" then generally you can ferment "it".

Just because you can ferment "it" ask yourself the question "should I" ?

And my answer would be an emphatic no!

There are many ingredients used in various areas of the brewing world that don't get used in wine and mead making, usually for good reason.

I'd just slice the onions, flour them then dip into thick batter and deep fry....... they'd go well with the marvellous spiced lime chutney I got at the market last weekend.

But in mead or wine ? No.

If any one has ever drank white cider? It might be a british product of our tax system, being the cheapest alcohol, but it can be seen being drunk on any park bench or street corner. Frosty jack, white lightning, and the likes. But I heard a rumor its made from fermented onions and I want to believe it because it tastes like fermented onions. But it might be untrue like tennentes being brewed Fromm fish heads and pasta? I still drink tennents, could try a fish heads and pasta mead instead?

If any one has ever drank white cider? It might be a british product of our tax system, being the cheapest alcohol, but it can be seen being drunk on any park bench or street corner. Frosty jack, white lightning, and the likes. But I heard a rumor its made from fermented onions and I want to believe it because it tastes like fermented onions. But it might be untrue like tennentes being brewed Fromm fish heads and pasta? I still drink tennents, could try a fish heads and pasta mead instead?

Never heard of it, in north America white lightning is unaged whisky.

I have actually tasted an onion mead at a homebrewer's night once. It was... really odd. Didn't much care for it. But the quiche that had the mead baked into it was really good. Seems a lot of work for a good quiche though.

I've had onion wine, and garlic wine. It was made for a cooking wine, but I had to sample it.

It wasn't bad but it really wasn't good and a sip was all I needed.

Latest posts

Back