First go at all grain...batch sparging...efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigemags05

Reaction score
I've decided to try my hand at all grain. For my first batch, I am going to brew a Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar clone.

I'll post the recipe below.

I am using a cooler mash tun with a stainless braid (just like Fly guy's pretty much).

I am going to batch sparge.

Questions:
I bought the grains already, not really knowing if I needed to adjust the recipe for efficiency. Is there a rule of thumb on how much to adjust for batch sparging vs. fly sparging? Is this recipe probably set up for fly sparging?

Also, with this being my first AG batch, how am I going to guesstimate how efficent my mash will be? What is a good goal for efficiency?

And lastly, if I do have to adjust the recipe, could I just lessen the amount of wort I boil and make a slightly smaller batch? I already bought the grains and don't really have a means of getting more. I just don't want to have a bad batch on my first AG brew.

I really appreciate any help/advice.

Recipe:

Hazelnut Brown Nectar Clone

8.25 lbs Great Western 2-row Pale Malt
9 oz. Hugh Baird Brown Malt
1.5 lbs Munich Malt
5.6 oz. Crystal Malt - 15L
1 lb Crystal Malt - 75L
5.6 oz. Crystal Malt - 120L
3.8 oz. Pale Chocolate Malt
.86 oz. Perle Hops @ 9% AA (60 min.)
.50 oz. Saaz Hops @ 3.5% AA (30 min.)
Wyeast 1056 or WL001

1/8 oz. Northwestern Extract Hazelnut Flavoring

Mash at 154 F for 60 min.

Add extract at kegging.

I've decided to try my hand at all grain. For my first batch, I am going to brew a Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar clone.

I'll post the recipe below.

I am using a cooler mash tun with a stainless braid (just like Fly guy's pretty much).

I am going to batch sparge.

Questions:
I bought the grains already, not really knowing if I needed to adjust the recipe for efficiency. Is there a rule of thumb on how much to adjust for batch sparging vs. fly sparging? Is this recipe probably set up for fly sparging?

Also, with this being my first AG batch, how am I going to guesstimate how efficent my mash will be? What is a good goal for efficiency?

And lastly, if I do have to adjust the recipe, could I just lessen the amount of wort I boil and make a slightly smaller batch? I already bought the grains and don't really have a means of getting more. I just don't want to have a bad batch on my first AG brew.

I really appreciate any help/advice.

Recipe:

Hazelnut Brown Nectar Clone

8.25 lbs Great Western 2-row Pale Malt
9 oz. Hugh Baird Brown Malt
1.5 lbs Munich Malt
5.6 oz. Crystal Malt - 15L
1 lb Crystal Malt - 75L
5.6 oz. Crystal Malt - 120L
3.8 oz. Pale Chocolate Malt
.86 oz. Perle Hops @ 9% AA (60 min.)
.50 oz. Saaz Hops @ 3.5% AA (30 min.)
Wyeast 1056 or WL001

1/8 oz. Northwestern Extract Hazelnut Flavoring

Mash at 154 F for 60 min.

Add extract at kegging.

Just brew it, and then figure out what kind of efficiency you got. You can use this site to figure out what your efficiency is; http://www.fattymattybrewing.com/ho...php?page=tools&section=sugar&action=calculate
Then you can dissect your process to figure out where you can make improvements. You might even get great efficiency your first time around..

I would use 65% as your initial guess as to your efficiency. If the crush is very poor (whole grains uncrushed) perhaps bump that down to 55%. Stirring thoroughly is a major key to efficiency in batch sparging (and fly sparging).

Back