When to toss out a bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonScott

Reaction score
I have a few bottles that might have had mold in them. I have soaked/scrubbed with oxyclean. I can't see any mold, but the bottom of the bottle isn't perfectly clear like the majority of my bottles. My bottle brush cannot get into every nook and crevice of the bottle, so I am contemplating throwing them in the dish washer as a last ditch effort to clean them. Do you have any suggestions, if this fails?

I've had bottles like that. I poured some undiluted bleach in them and let them sit overnight. They will usually just wash out after that.

You could bake them in the oven at about 300-350º F for a couple of hours - that should take care of the problem. You might want to raise the temperature slowly, in steps, to avoid thermal stress on the bottles - when done, just turn off the oven and let the bottles cool slowly for several hours.

I soak all my bottles in a big tub of bleach water overnight, then rinse them really good one at a time and it seems to work well.

I also use a little bleach and water and let them sit over night and that has always worked.

If in doubt, throw it out. ;)

Seriously, replacing a couple bottles is easy. I would not risk my delicious brew.

+1

Of it's 6 or 12 bottles... throw them out and pick up some new ones. Then you can enjoy turning the new ones from full to empty bottles. :mug:

Soak them with a stronger bleach mix. Then rinse them EXTREMELY well. You do not want any bleach lingering around. I usually rinse about 3-4 times to get it all out.

Back