NEW HOPPY RECIPE! Comment Please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plaplant

Reaction score
I'm working on a light pale ale of sorts with lots of hop flavor and aroma. I really dont want to use more than 6 oz in this 5 gallon batch. Do you think I am getting OPTIMAL hop flavor and aroma!?

Grain Bill
5 lb extra light dme
2.5 lb wheat lme
.5 cara pils
1 lb cristal 10

Hops
Warrior 1oz 60 min
Centennial 1oz 10 min
Amarillo 1oz 5 min
Amarillo 1oz 1 min
Citra 1oz 1 min
Centennial 1oz dry hop

Yeast
Safale US-05

Other
Irish moss 2tbs 15 min
a rounded 3/4s cup priming sugar

Any advice on any part of the recipe would be AWESOME!

That looks like a lot of irish moss. I usually see it used as 1 teaspoon in a 5 gal batch.

I see 4 aroma additions and only one that really counts as a flavor addition at 10 min.
A 20 min addition is the optimal flavor addition.
Are you using any recipe as a guide?

I was thinking about that. Do you think it would make more since to add the Amarillo or the Citra at 20 minutes? I am thinking the Amarillo.

I would move more to flavor and dryhopp.Although i sometimes think last min boil seems to flavor.UNless drank very soon. I just dryhoped witha few pellots into a bottle and let it condtion for 2 weeks in a mild just to test what the hop was like. It seemed i got more flavor than aroma from it also, which seemed surprising.

Myself, with these exact hops, I'd do this.

1 oz Warrior @ 60
1 oz Centennial @ 20
1 oz Amarillo @ 10
1 oz Centennial @ 5
1 oz Amarillo @ 1
1 oz Citra Dry

If you can do 1 more oz I'd double the Citra dry hop.

Myself, with these exact hops, I'd do this.

1 oz Warrior @ 60
1 oz Centennial @ 20
1 oz Amarillo @ 10
1 oz Centennial @ 5
1 oz Amarillo @ 1
1 oz Citra Dry

If you can do 1 more oz I'd double the Citra dry hop.

I think I will go with 2oz for dry hopping. But I really love centennial for dry hopping. Would you say there are any advantages to using Citra over Centennial other than just preference?

Okay so after a couple small changes here is what I am looking at now.

Grain bill
5 lbs extra light dme
2.5 lbs wheat lme
6.4 oz Cara pills Grain steep 30 minutes
4.5 oz Crystal 10 (or 20) Grain steep 30 minutes

Hops
1oz Warrior 60 min (pellets)
1oz Amarillo 20 min (leaf)
1oz Centennial 15 min (pellets)
1oz Amarillo 1 min (leaf)
1oz Citra 1 min (pellets)
2 oz Centennial (dry hop)

Yeast
Safale US-05

Others
2 tsp Irish Moss 15 min
Yeast Nutrient 5 minutes
3/4th cup priming sugar

I would prefer to dry hop with pellets than leaf just because I Hate how much beer leaf absorbs. Also the only reason for the variation between pellet and leaf is because of my local homebrew's availability.

Also I have never used yeast nutrient but I want to in this batch. Does anyone have advice about using it, what kind?, when in the boil? things like that!

I think I will go with 2oz for dry hopping. But I really love centennial for dry hopping. Would you say there are any advantages to using Citra over Centennial other than just preference?

Just preference really, but have you ever used Citra as a dry hop before? Astounding. You could try one ounce of each, that would be really nice.

I won't get into specifics but it just looks a bit out of balance to me. I would do something like a half ounce at 60, 30, 20, 15, 10, 5, and flameout and then dry hop with 2.5 ounces. Centennial can be a nice dry hop, but out of your list I'd use the citra and amarillo.

I think your recipe revision looks great. 2oz dry is a good move. 1 oz usually gives subtle aromas and flavors but I like to use at least 2 in most pales and IPAs.

I like the original but the modified version is good too. I almost always do a schedule of 60/15/10/5/0/dryhop for hoppy IPAs and APAs. I think it's personal preference, but using up great flavor hops at both 20/15 seems like the later additions would be lacking a bit.

what Do you guys think about dry hopping with leaf in a loose bag and then squeezing the bag? Is this bad like squeezing a bag of grain after a steep?

what Do you guys think about dry hopping with leaf in a loose bag and then squeezing the bag? Is this bad like squeezing a bag of grain after a steep?

It's not bad (and neither is squeezing the bag after steeping grains), but it will cause some splashing of the beer, which IS bad and should be avoided.

The timing for this could not be better - I need to refill my super-hopped IPA pipeline and my sweetheart insists that I use a recipe.

Of course...I plan to diverge from this course. I hope this is viewed as a tribute, and not a post hijacking.

I'll go with six gallons to allow for sludge, use one pound rice malt in the equation and extra light DME & dextrose instead of the wheat malt.

My current hops inventory is as follows:

Chinook leaf, and pellets as follows:

Columbus
Summit
Nugget
Cascade
Bravo
Amarillo
Simcoe
Citra

I'm a totally chaotic brewer trying to move into a disciplined recipe world, and I'd REALLY APPRECIATE your input on the hops approach. Port Brewing Mongo is one of my favorites, so don't worry about overhopping.

Thank you
Norman

The timing for this could not be better - I need to refill my super-hopped IPA pipeline and my sweetheart insists that I use a recipe.

Of course...I plan to diverge from this course. I hope this is viewed as a tribute, and not a post hijacking.

I'll go with six gallons to allow for sludge, use one pound rice malt in the equation and extra light DME & dextrose instead of the wheat malt.

My current hops inventory is as follows:

Chinook leaf, and pellets as follows:

Columbus
Summit
Nugget
Cascade
Bravo
Amarillo
Simcoe
Citra

I'm a totally chaotic brewer trying to move into a disciplined recipe world, and I'd REALLY APPRECIATE your input on the hops approach. Port Brewing Mongo is one of my favorites, so don't worry about overhopping.

Thank you
Norman

You plan on using rice in an IPA? That's an usual choice, although I have seen people use corn sugar to boost fermentables. Rice isn't malted, so you'd have to use flaked rice and use base malt to convert it in a mini-mash. Or use rice syrup, I guess. I'd definitely not do that, though.

Anyway, I like to use nugget, columbus, or summit for bittering (about 45 IBUs with this addition) and then load up the late hops (amarillo, simcoe and citra are great for this).

Something like this:

1 oz columbus 60 minutes
1 oz amarillo 15 minutes
1 oz simcoe 10 minutes
1 oz citra 5 minutes
1 oz amarillo flame out

dryhop with .5 oz each citra, amarillo, and simcoe.

Yooper said:
You plan on using rice in an IPA? That's an usual choice, although I have seen people use corn sugar to boost fermentables.

Anyway, I like to use nugget, columbus, or summit for bittering (about 45 IBUs with this addition) and then load up the late hops (amarillo, simcoe and citra are great for this).

Something like this:

1 oz columbus 60 minutes
1 oz amarillo 15 minutes
1 oz simcoe 10 minutes
1 oz citra 5 minutes
1 oz amarillo flame out

dryhop with .5 oz each citra, amarillo, and simcoe.

Perfect! I absolutely love that blend of dry hops. It gives that great west coast ipa aroma and flavor. Personally, I'll use summit instead of simcoe, but I know people that would want to take my head for that sub. Still, summit is better then people give it credit for.

I'm a HUGE fan of hop bursting. I'd go with this:

0.5 oz Warrior 60 min
0.5 oz each Amarillo, Centennial 20 min
0.5 oz each Amarillo, Centennial 15 min
0.5 oz each Amarillo, Centennial, and Citra 10 min
0.5 oz each Amarillo, Centennial, and Citra 5 min
0.5 oz each Amarillo, Centennial, and Citra flameout

Dry hop as required after sampling.

I wish this recipe would settle I need an IPA in my pipeline. Are we done with. The mods? Could you PM the final recipe?

Back