Winter Brewing Outdoors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradsul

Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
No matter the weather I won't skip brewing (obsessed? sure!) so I came up with this ugly bugger to help me out. It blocks the wind from the pots completely, keeps rain and snow off the pot. It also really maximizes the efficiency of the burner I've found, I get MUCH faster to boiling with this than without (so I use it in the summer as well).

Any steam that hits the top just rolls down and not into the pot so no worries there either. Hope this gets some of you guys outdoors and enjoying the fun of winter brewing!

Sparging:
5408-winter_sparging.jpg

Boiling:
5408-winter_boiling.jpg

Looks good. I've also shielded my pot with flashing. Really cuts down on the propane. The whole pot is surrounded by hot flue gas. I am up to my 7th 90 min boil on a 20 lb tank.

I could've used this idea yesterday. I had my burner cranking and it blew out twice. Of course the wind WAS gusting up to 40mph. That made for some nice wind chills...

Soulive21 said:
I could've used this idea yesterday. I had my burner cranking and it blew out twice. Of course the wind WAS gusting up to 40mph. That made for some nice wind chills...
I've used this thing in the driving rain and in snow so hard I couldn't see the other apartment building 100' away (ok slight exaggeration :)). mr_x is right too, it really extends the life is a single propane fill-up.

Yeah I was probably eating propane yesterday, but it was my first time so I was concerned with other things. Apparently I should've been more concerned with my mash :drunk:

Man, you are braver than me. Everything comes inside for winter, or I have to brew in my BIL attached garage.

Is that just aluminum flashing? Just curious where you bought it.

Yup, just a roll of standard aluminum flashing. I bought it at Rona but I've seen it at Home Depot and Home Hardware as well. If I recall correctly it was about $20CDN for an 18'x24" roll but I may be remembering the demensions wrong.

I applaud this brewer! Anyone else have tricks up their sleeve that they use to brew during the winter? I wanted to get a few batches in before it got too cold and honestly don't think it's going to happen. I'll probably just end up doing half batches on my stove to get me through the winter. We'll see though. ;)

I'm definitely going to do this as soon as I get over to home depot again. I checked out sheet metal there once and was appalled at the prices for a piece even close to the size I would need for that - it didn't occur to me to look in the roofing section for aluminum flashing.

That seems to be the way it goes with all sorts of hardware-type items - there can be two very similar items for different applications with two very different prices, you just have to know where to look.

But, I think I'm definitely going to have to make it look nicer than that - the neighbors think I'm crazy enough already :p

Hat's off to you, Sir! :mug:

I love to see what other's consider a 'harsh environment'. :D

Access to indoor brewing is available, but the outdoor gig is a much more adventurous and enjoyable day, with friends, warm food and shared exposure to the elements.

AND, it helps ward off the S.A.D.S.!

Winter ain't all about TV and fireside, or skiing or sledding or skating; Winter is brewing/drinking HB beer!

Nice gadget, Bud!

Jekster said:
I applaud this brewer! Anyone else have tricks up their sleeve that they use to brew during the winter? ;)

Yup. While I like the flashing idea, I think it would be easier to buy a galvanized garbage can and cut the bottom off of it, and set it over your burner and keggle. don't know if it would be more expensive, though.

Bernie Brewer said:
Yup. While I like the flashing idea, I think it would be easier to buy a galvanized garbage can and cut the bottom off of it, and set it over your burner and keggle. don't know if it would be more expensive, though.
That was my original thought as well but I couldn't find one large enough.

bradsul said:
It also really maximizes the efficiency of the burner I've found, I get MUCH faster to boiling with this than without (so I use it in the summer as well).

That's what I experienced as well. It also saves propane. I used to be able to brew barely 4 batches with one tank. Now, after using a wind shield, I can get as many as 6-7 batches out of one tank of propane.

It also helps with controlling boil-overs since you can actually fine-tune the flame. Before I would suddenly get a moment of calm winds and the pot would boil-over.

Kai

Thanks Brad.

That is a great idea! I just did my first winter AG yesterday. I wimped out and did it on our 3 season porch. Bad idea.

Air circulation was fine. However, I steamed it up something terrible.

What do you do for chilling? I tried the snowbank since I do not have a way at the moment to hook up my IC. It did not work very well at all.

knights of Gambrinus said:
...What do you do for chilling? I tried the snowbank since I do not have a way at the moment to hook up my IC. It did not work very well at all.
I have to carry my kettle into my kitchen to use my CFC. I tried the snowbank thing but I look crazy enough out there as it is; didn't want to start burying my kettle in the snow banks. :D

I used to use a sheild also. I found a drawback to using one.

After a great number of brews using a sheild my supply hose caught fire where it mates to the oriface. The heat melted the rubber over time and caused a propane leak. I ended up buying another turkey frier and eventually repaired the hose, so I now have the begining of a tiered setup with a burner for my HLT.

Bottom line is that if you are using a sheild, make sure you inspect your hoses if the heat gets to them. Fire is nothing to play with when brewing.

Latest posts

Back