WLP002 With a 1-2-3 Schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmferris

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last Sunday, I used WLP002 for the first time for a new bitter recipe. I was planning on a 1-2-3 schedule, with tomorrow being the day I would rack to the secondary. However, I still have some of the yeast sitting on top. I know that this is a top-fermenting yeast, and am wondering if a 1-2-3 schedule was even logical with this yeast? My hopes were to be able to rack to the secondary so I could free up my 6.5 for a batch of barleywine.

So, I guess I have a couple of questions...

1. Can I rack to the secondary even though there is still some yeast that has not fallen out? I could probably just take a gravity reading, and depending on where I am, siphon out from below the yeast if I needed to.
  2. Should I just skip the secondary and let it go in the primary for the full three weeks, and then just jump to bottling/conditioning?

This is my first non-kit recipe, so I am probably babying this more than I should. :)

Thanks in advance, for any guidance or suggestions!

I would say if the yeast is still on top then fermentation is not complete. Have you taken a hydrometer reading?

I personally tend to primary for at least 3 weeks then usually skip secondary

I would abandon the 1-2-3 thing and submit to the reality that the yeast don't work on your schedule, but you on theirs. Also, there are few yeasts for which racking to secondary makes less sense than for WLP 002, which is about as flocculant as they get and tends to produce crystal-clear beers even without fining.

So, just skip the secondary and let it sit in primary for a few weeks, and abandon the 1-2-3 idea from here on out.

Thanks, Chanllenger440 and ArcaneXor. Seems that is the direction I was leaning, as well. Going to take a gravity reading today and skip the secondary. No problem getting rid of the 1-2-3, either. Just need to sneak a couple more carboys into the house when SWMBO is not looking. ;)

Latest posts

Back