Carbonating Apfelwein in Sanke Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coppertop4646

Reaction score
Normally, I just bottle my beers and carbonate them with a little priming sugar, but after reading about how to carbonate Apfelwein, it seems like bottle bombs can be a lot more common. I got to thinking if there was a safer way to carbonate the cider. I have access to 50L Sanke kegs and was wondering if these would be a safer, easier alternative to carbonating the cider (keep in mind I can have a keg but not the whole CO2 setup). Basically I was thinking I would just transfer the cider from the carboy to the keg, add the priming sugar, and seal the keg back up (this would be safer since kegs can handle a lot more pressure than glass bottles). Is this plausible? And if it is, how much sugar would you add for a 5 gallon batch? (a 5 gallon batch inside a 50L keg is going to leave a lot of air space)

Normally, I just bottle my beers and carbonate them with a little priming sugar, but after reading about how to carbonate Apfelwein, it seems like bottle bombs can be a lot more common. I got to thinking if there was a safer way to carbonate the cider. I have access to 50L Sanke kegs and was wondering if these would be a safer, easier alternative to carbonating the cider (keep in mind I can have a keg but not the whole CO2 setup). Basically I was thinking I would just transfer the cider from the carboy to the keg, add the priming sugar, and seal the keg back up (this would be safer since kegs can handle a lot more pressure than glass bottles). Is this plausible? And if it is, how much sugar would you add for a 5 gallon batch? (a 5 gallon batch inside a 50L keg is going to leave a lot of air space)

Once you carb up the cider in the keg, how are you going to get it out without a co2 set up? :drunk:

Keg Pump? Or once its carbonated, transfer it to bottling bucket then bottle and cap it?

A keg pump using oxygen, which will ruin the apfelwein in less than 48 hours by oxidizing it.

You could transfer it to a bottling bucket, by a siphon, but since it'd be carbonated, it'd foam like an SOB. You'd have to allow it to decarb, then bottle it. But then, it'd be oxidized uncarbonated cider.

Ok so what's the safest way to go about carbonating it in bottles? Add priming sugar, bottle, open test bottles every so often until the carbonation is right then pasteurize? Also, could I use twist off bottles with Apfelwein or will the caps just blow off? (I'm using Ed Wort's recipe and have a super agata capper)

Ok so what's the safest way to go about carbonating it in bottles? Add priming sugar, bottle, open test bottles every so often until the carbonation is right then pasteurize? Also, could I use twist off bottles with Apfelwein or will the caps just blow off? (I'm using Ed Wort's recipe and have a super agata capper)

I've had success by filling one plastic pop bottle with the batch of beer bottles. clean and sanitize it and the cap as you would your other bottles. When it gets to the firmness of an unopened pop, it's time to pasteurize.

I have read that others have not recommended using twist-off caps /bottles.

Also, I have read that 3/4 or 1 cup of priming sugar is needed for 5 gallons.

are you talking about bottling sweet cider/wine? if not then there's no problem with priming, you won't have any bombs (ever!) if you prime a fully fermented dry cider with a reasonable amount of sugar, well mixed in the bottling bucket of course

Back