Just wanted to share this..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was having Mexican food

Not at Chevy's you weren't, while we are picking nits.

You could have, if you wanted knowledgeable beer service, crossed the river via car or bus and gone to Green Dragon, Bailey's, Cascade Barrel House, The Horse Brass etc and you went to Chevy's in the 'Couv. What did you expect?

This caused quite a stir lol. It was simply supposed to be a humorous story. I don't blame the waitress, though I do think you should know what beers you have on tap (especially if it's only 4). Simply saying Hefeweizen isn't enough. That'd be like me asking what the special was and her saying "BEEF". Well, is it carne asada? chili verde?

It's okay to not know the nuances or taste of the beer, but at least know the name!

Hell, I'm that way about cigars. I went into a cigar store a few months ago and asked:

"Hey is that maduro cigar any good?"

Cigar guy: "Maduro is a cut of cigar..not a brand...."

I was having Mexican food, and didn't feel like a Hefeweizen would really complement what I was eating. Thus the choice for a margarita. I certainly didn't want tecate or coors or miller or whatever they had.

I would still have got the Hefeweizen just to check it out, but perhaps, it wasn't really a true weizen, who knows... I have been served beers on tap that were not really what the waiter said or thought it was...

Anyway, I think you should share the restaurant name/location as I lot of people would be curious to try that polemic weizen! :)

Yes I could have. I haven't been to Horse Brass yet but I'd like to. I could've also gone to Prost.

I wasn't the one who chose the venue. The girlfriends family did. It's Mexican american food.

I'm a foodie, I realize what real mexican food is. It certainly isn't Chevy's, but I'm not going to be snobby and say "I was eating americanized 'mexican food'. I also wasn't expecting informed beer service. I'm confused about when I said this? I was simply amused by the whole situation.

It's not much to expect that someone know the names of the beer they have on tap, especially if you can count them on one hand. I wasn't hoping for them to have Pranqster or something. I thought they might have Negra Modelo (one of my favorite beers to drink with beans and rice).

What pisses me off more is these big chain restuants that have a list of craft brews on the menu, yet around here they dont actually have it. As close as I can come to a craftbrew is a sam adams.

What pisses me off more is these big chain restuants that have a list of craft brews on the menu, yet around here they dont actually have it. As close as I can come to a craftbrew is a sam adams.

Wow, you just made me remember something that almost blew my top once.

My wife and I went to Ruby Tuesday's in North Jersey once and I almost fainted when I saw Fat Tire on the menu, for nostalgia reasons and also because I knew 100% that it is not available anywhere within 500 miles of me.

Suspicious, I ordered it, received no rebuttal from the waitress, and sat dumbfounded waiting for my impossible brew. The waitress promptly returned with one beer (my wife's), and the expected explanation: "I'm sorry sir, that item shouldn't be on the menu."

A man can dream right?

Yep one place had some smutty nose beer on the menu, and no go the other had widmir hefe and none of that.

Back