Questions/concerns about drilling my kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm getting ready to install a bulkhead and valve in my aluminum kettle, but I have a couple questions.

First, I have a Kewler Kitz bulkhead, obviously made for a cooler. The bulkheads for kettles look remarkably similar, but I'm wondering if there are any differences I should be aware of to correct as I install.

Second, anyone know what size hole I would need to mount said bulkhead?

And last, my greatest concern is leaking. While installed on my cooler the bulkhead usually leaked a little. I'd prefer it not do this. I know you're not supposed to tighten too much else you wreck the o-rings, but is a leak-proof weldless possible?

Thanks in advance!

Drilling an aluminum kettle will be simple. The difference in that kewler kitz bulkhead is the length of the nipple.

1/2" Weldless kits require a hole that is just slightly larger than 13/16" for the nipple to pass through the hole.

Instructions for our kit is here: Install a Weldless fitting

Getting a leak free setup with a weldless kit on kegs and kettles is very straightforward.

i cant remember the hole size off the top of my head, but i'm sure its in the instructions linked above. i would recommend using a step bit if you can find one. it really does a much nicer job then a hole saw. i made a pretty ugly hole with the hole saw, and the bulkhead i got from bargain fittings worked beautifully, not a drop of leakage so far. if the kit you have will work fine, but if not, the one you need is in the link above too, and its well worth it.

I would suggest you use a step-bit and be very very careful to make sure that the hole is just ever-so-slightly larger than the nipple going through the hole; it should be a tight squeeze to get the nipple through.

If you make the hole too large (very easy to do) the whole assembly with twist when you turn the ball valve.

Back