Problems with Maelstrom stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyJones32

Reaction score
So i went to my LHBS today and after a lot of research and years of using starters without a stir plate, i gave in and went all out with the Maelstrom stir plate. When i first got home i took my new 2000ml flask and made a starter, and turned on the stir plate and it was working perfectly.

I left home to go to a local brewery with a buddy, and came back to find my stir plate had stopped. Not only that, but when i tried to start it again, it wouldn't spin anymore.

Here are the current symptoms:

It turns on just fine, with the pause light on, like normal.

I can change the timer all the way to 48 hours still.

I can cycle through all 5 speeds, on and off of pause, but even when i take it off of pause, it wont spin at all on any setting.

I only have used the small stir bar that came with it, nothing crazy big or anything that might mess it up. I have the original instructions which came with it, which arent much help. And when i search online for troubleshooting info all i can find is the same PDF off of NB.

If anyone has any idea, i would love some input. I loved it while it was working, i just want it to work again.

If you spent over $100 on a stir plate it should not only work, it should do your dishes and keep you warm in bed. Return that sucker. I can't imagine that a $100+ stir plate spins that much better than a $40 stir plate.

@CaseyJones32 return it. It should work without issue.

If you spent over $100 on a stir plate it should not only work, it should do your dishes and keep you warm in bed. Return that sucker. I can't imagine that a $100+ stir plate spins that much better than a $40 stir plate.

It will make something like a 5 gallon starter. I have one, but I had a gift card and didn't need anything else. So I splurged.

Agreed - return it. I have the same model and it works like a champ. Something's wrong with your unit and NB's great customer service will take care of it.

Traded it in to my LHBS and it couldnt have been easier. New one is working perfectly. Big thanks to The Brew Hut in Aurora, CO those guys rock!

Back